Jambands.ca

Under Byen@Zaphods(Ottawa) - Go see them in TO on Oct9th

Booche

This is in contention for the best set of music I have ever seen in Ottawa. Mind=blown. They are playing Toronto tomorrow night. I swear to you. Dont miss it.

Chello-violin/saw with a bow/effects pedals (yes, as a separate intsrument ala Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead)-2 drums-bass-piano/rhodes

Gorgeous-singing females. Dont expect to understand the lyrics, its not like you need to.

Under Byen

09/10/06:

The Horseshoe, Toronto, CANADA

It was a real treat tonight to see this band. We get to see a lot of great music, but when I see something unique + talented, I feel very lucky.

The sound of that bow on the saw was at times beautiful (so beautiful that I found it difficult to catch my breath), and at times terrifying (in a very good way). I wondered if he was trying to draw blood from that saw.

The side drum kit (and I say "side" because it was set-up side stage, not because it was secondary to the other kit) was equipped with some great percussive instruments...I need to find out what they all are because the way she played them all was fantastic.

While I wish that I could understand the lyrics, it really didn't matter.

Torontonians -- Don't miss this tomorrow night

fuck i just drank with all them dudes at the manx all night, they played some straightup guitar and harmonica tunes, Al Tuck was playing, Jim Bryson, Giant Sand and Gara from Arcade FIre wehre there.

rye rye rye is my friend.

the are hilarousn dudes. highly entertaining when drunking like that.

Where's the manx and how was Al Tuck. Al is likely the single most underrated musician in Canada- although not if you're in the know.

i'd say he's the single most underrated lyricist and arranger... his technical skills are passable. his magic to me is in how he weaves a story. only the second real show i've seen him do, and the first was 10 years ago. not much has changed, some new songs. there were a few guests that played, no-one anyone would know, just local guys that showed up with a banjo and guitar. played 3 sets. mostly bluesy arrangements of songs last night. was a packed bar but it seemed like only me, howe gelb, draves, bryson and gara knew who Tuck was.

decent show, to be honest i sat and got more drunk than anything. it was thanksgiving.

kingston is next for him

altuck.ca

oh and he played to a packed house of 3 people at cafe nostalgica on friday night in ottawa as well.