Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

If Team A pulls their goalie during the overtime' date=' and subsequently gives up an empty net goal or loses in the shootout, they lose their 1 point.[/quote']

what a dumb dumb rule. if that is true.

I agree - I'm not sure what the purpose of that rule is. If you are tied at the end of regulation time, you earn one point. How does being scored on when your net is empty negate the fact that you finished the first sixty minutes with a tied score? Weird.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about this just a little while ago as I was talking to my Dad about the game. All I can think of is that they don't wan't teams pulling their goalies in OT as they'd prefer it would go to a shootout, or have a "regular" goal.

Think of it this way. If an Eastern team was playing a Western team neither has anything to lose after getting their 1 point for the first 60mins. So, you have the OT faceoff, get the puck in the opponent's zone and get a whistle. You get a faceoff in the zone and pull your goalie for the extra attacker. If the other team scores, who cares? At least you got 1 point, and had the extra attacker for a chance at least. I guess they don't think that's a nice way to end it.

It's DUMB. Why can't a team use a strategy like that? If the league wants to give a point for a tie this should be allowed. You can do it in any other period, so what's the difference?

Get rid of the 1 point for a tie all together and they wouldn't need this stupid rule because then the strategy it would be totally unlikely to be used.

Does that make any sense?

Edited by Guest

Hey, what's that site where they stream the game online again? I can't believe that Sportsnet East has this game unavailable here.

I'm sitting watching "Sens Overtime" show with them interviewing a bunch of Sens players in the leadup to the game. I'm assuming it will just go to black when 7:30 rolls around :(

Guest Low Roller

Great 40 minutes of hockey last night. Two points iz two points!

First team in the Eastern Conference to clinch a playoff spot? Getouttahere.

Go Habs Go!

I don't think the Sabres have it in them to catch 8th spot. I've got a few friends in Buffalo who had written off this season from the get go, but there was some real hope for them for a while. It ain't in the cards for them this year.

It's going to be gross if both Boston and Philly are in it :( I'd like to see Washington get a little taste at least :)