Jambands.ca

dinner for the week

meggo

on the weekend i like to make a great big pot of something that will last us a few days, since i'm usually too beat during the week to do much cooking.

i'm looking for suggestions for this week, i'm feeling a little bit uninspired at the moment. lately i've done veggie lasagna, chicken curry, chili, spaghetti and meatballs...

It's probably similar to most chili recipes, but I'm doing burrito mix tonight: chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, can of tomatoes, can of black beans (drained and rinsed), package of veggie ground round, spices, hot sauce, all skilleted up. I'll have it tonight, and save the rest (it makes about 6 or 7 servings, one serving = two 7" tortillas).

Aloha,

Brad

i vote for soup... that time of year and all.. use a crock pot, pork stock and every kind of veggie you can think of, add lots of warm, autumny spices and let sit for an entire day... and voila.. the best vegetable soup ever. if you even want to step it up a bit martha, make some homemade rolls to have with it.

or

meat pie... brown up half ground beef, half ground sausage, onions, beef bouillon, spices of your choice.. on another burner boil potatoes and mash... take the meat and the potatoes and mix all together in an effort to make the potatoes hold the meat together.. press into pie crust, top with pie top and bake in the oven... when done, serve with chili sauce. yummy!

if you have a slow cooker you might want to try doing a roast.

peel and slice 2 or 3 onions so that you get onion rings, just don't take them apart. place slices on the bottom of the pot. then peel and slice some carrots into chunks, throw in some new potatoes. add 3/4 - 1 cup of broth. last time i threw in some wine and it was yummy. then take a 2-3 lb roast and coat it with salt/pepper/spices of your choice all over the outside. place it with the fattiest side up and it'll cook for 10-12 hours on low, or 5-6 on high.

i like to make lots of veggies when i do this...the roast is always almost touching the lid...just remember, the more veggies, the more liquid you need, and it all turns into gravy later anyways!

that one's good for a couple dinners and a couple lunches for 2 people.

if you have everything prepped sunday night, it won't take more than 5 minutes to throw all that together monday morning before work! gotta love slow cookers