Jambands.ca

Paper Birds/ Anthems for 17 yr. old girl

zero

Anybody notice how Paper Birds has a direct cop of Anthems For A Seventeen Yr. Old Girl at the end, not sure if they're playing it live. He did it unconsciously (Brad) at first - changing 'Park that car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me' for I think 'Your head is cracked, your feet are burnt(?), your warrior blood, can handle that'. I called him on it and he owned up to it in a cute way but then dropped it from live versions as I recall. Then it pops up on the album sort of from 6:00-8:17. It's really really obvious, like anyone who knows Broken Social Scene will pick up on it. They know some of that crew as far as I know, at least Charles Spearin who they've met through Do Make Say Think. I would bet some of them have had a conversation or at least it was really conscious and a sort of homage. I think Eisenhower may very well be the first Canadian album by an American band (at least in recent memory).

didn't i read this yesterday?

i would like to hear the recorded version of this, i guess until then i can't really comment. i gotta wait til november!

wondering if you can elaborate on the 'canadian album by american band' comment.

Well you know the moving to Montreal, hell they've got a Montreal EP, thing I guess is part of it. The Canada reference in Even Rats. Their definitely really aware of Canadian music. Ever since I put You Forgot It In People in Brad's hands they've really eagerly inquired about bands like Do Make Say Think, Metric, Marc is a big fan of Constantines and Tournament of Hearts the album. I think they were trying to make something of the stature of You Forgot It or Tournament. Other equally valid American reference points exist Doug Marsh and Built To Spill. That works better geographically and you know they do have a lot in common with the spill other than just the Else and Carry The Zero covers. I'm just hashing it out as a notion but I feel like they got a lot of support to from the Canadian community in the incubation of those songs and that imprint is all over them.

Have people really not heard the album. I thought someone would've got a hold of it. Good it hasn't leaked but surprising I guess. I don't mean to be rubbing it in people's face. It really is quite quite good though.

Tournament of Hearts has stature?????

Good points, although seems limited to their like of Canadian bands, a lyrical reference to Canada, and a title of an EP. When you originally said 'Canadian record' I immediately though of the Rheostatics... So I guess that's my barometer of a Canadian record.. And I doubt this Slip record will get anywhere close to the Canadian-ness of that.

I wonder if the Slip have been to the Prairies.

As for the record leaking - For my sake I hope it does soon! Although I can wait two weeks with no problem.

I'll be able to comment better once I hear the disc, right now I'm discussing blind.

I'm wondering if the Canadian release date is later than Nov. 7, as Bar/None do not currently have the Canadian rights to the album and Nov. 7 is their date.

Did you pre-order yours AD?

And yeah, I totally noticed the paper birds thing. And others.

Edited by Guest

i didn't pre-order, no. i usually just check with compact music to see if they'll be getting something when it comes out, then i go pick it up.

not worried. I just checked and itunes tells me i have 20.5 days of music I haven't yet listened to on my computer. so i can wait for it. :)

(still if i do find it ahead of time it will go to the top of the pile)

Anybody notice how Paper Birds has a direct cop of Anthems For A Seventeen Yr. Old Girl at the end, not sure if they're playing it live. He did it unconsciously (Brad) at first - changing 'Park that car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me' for I think 'Your head is cracked, your feet are burnt(?), your warrior blood, can handle that'. I called him on it and he owned up to it in a cute way but then dropped it from live versions as I recall. Then it pops up on the album sort of from 6:00-8:17. It's really really obvious, like anyone who knows Broken Social Scene will pick up on it. They know some of that crew as far as I know, at least Charles Spearin who they've met through Do Make Say Think. I would bet some of them have had a conversation or at least it was really conscious and a sort of homage. I think Eisenhower may very well be the first Canadian album by an American band (at least in recent memory).

Thanks for qualifying that. Every time I had heard it I had recognized it and had BSS in the back of my mind without knowing where to look.

video