Jambands.ca

anyone got hamsters?

phorbesie

i would like to adopt a hamster (the fluffy teddy bear kind) but the humane society doesn't have any right now and i can't find any on craigslist either.

if anyone keeps hamsters, let me know if you get any babies you don't want!

any info on where else i could look for one, also appreciated!

thanks

i had a teddy bear hamster too that took a huge chunk out of my finger. i have a scar. i hated that thing. just the image of that little rodent rolling behind the couch in his stupid exercise ball makes me feel weird. bailey was a devil pet, hands down. i think his eyes might have been red.

then again my cousins had an entire hamster farm with the long windy tubes which made their home look more like a commune and they were great little pets! i'd say it's a gamble.. hamsters are risky! ;)

Frankly, I think guinea pigs are better -- I've had eleven of them in the past ten years, five of which are alive now (our record is one that lived to seven and a half years). They have a good temperament, they're big enough to cuddle but small enough to live in close quarters, mine especially enjoy listening to the Dead Kennedys, Phish, and Mendelsohn. Enya irritates them.

I mean hamsters are cool, I guess... guinea pigs rock! :thumbup: :cool:

I second (third?) guinea pigs! I have three of them, two of which are hairless, so they are like house hippos. There's also lots of homeless piggies in rescue and shelters needing homes, and I'd be happy to help you find one, if you like. They are social animals though, so they are best housed in same sex pairs or more.

I also belong to a guinea pig forum that is run by a rescue. I've found that it's the best way to learn about proper care, and it's a great way to find pigs that need homes.

This is Tanuki, he is my house hippo:

P7272206.jpg

This is Costanza, he's a little joker:

PA162603.jpg

And I just got a new piggie a week and a half ago, this is my new princess Maci (she is spayed):

PB093224.JPG

Guinea Lynx (http://www.guinealynx.com) is the best website for care and medical question for cavies. Let me know if you want any more links or info... I am slightly obsessed with my piggies. In fact I just designed a cafepress shirt to show it: http://www.cafepress.com/fairysari.87385244

Forgot to add: check out http://www.petfinder.com for shelter listings, and their classifieds where anyone can list a pet: http://www.petfinder.com/post/classifiedhop.html

Edited by Guest

Wow -- love the t-shirt! I'm gonna try to get one for Mrs Owlette for Christmas!

Cool photos, too!

Can you send me more info about the g-pig forum or similar online resources?

By the way, we adoptd three last week from the OHS -- they're six-month-old litter-mates and they've been taken up by our two-and a half-year-old who had lost her sister a few days before.

Here are our pigs' names:

Pepper (1996-1999)

Flower (1997-2002)

Sugar (1997-2001)

Ginger (1998-2004)

Clover (1998-2005)

Briar (2001-)

Clinker (2004-2006)

Butter (2004-)

Cheddar (2006-)

Castor (2006-)

Stripe (2006)

Edited by Guest
storytelling...

We have two guines pigs too.My first guinea pigs ever.They are adorable,utterly non functional,funny butt,ravenous squeAling beasts.They act as watchdogs as they invariably start squeaking if anyone opens the the door to the house or if you say go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.My favorite thing about the g. pig is the funny purring noise they make.

Horrific g.pig story;

Ok so upon receipt of said guinea pigs it was casually mentioned that one might be pregnant.Ok.However on the night the g.pig decides to give birth,in fact the very hour of the birthing a very nice,slightly hesitant, bespectaled young man comes knowcking at the door wanting to sign us up for some gas rate thing.As I am trying to talk with this gentleman,between kids running all over the place,pets,boyfriend playing guitar the kids start screaming"The guines is eating its babies".Screaming,shrieking over and over again.The guy looks totally terrified and I just calmly and serenely continue discussing gas rates in my best impression of a tranquilized 50's mum,ignoring the childrens vocals while trying to block the actual sight of them from the man at the door.At which point the kids realize they have to step it up a notch and bring the cage to the front door.A cage in which sits the gnawed upon,bloody carcass-only the head left actually of a g.pig and the mother squeaking away and looking cherubic.

Guines pigs are socially disastrous.

guinea pigs are cute but i'd heard they are really stinky and messy and piss all over the place.

Actually, any animal will get really stinky and messy and piss all over the place if you don't keep them and their environment clean... I've kept ours well cared-for so it hasn't been a problem.

Ah, well, I tried to sell you on my piggy passion... if you can, keep trying to adopt from a shelter or a fellow hamster-fan. All the best... ;)

i didn't mean to piss on your pigs :)

hamster cages will get stinky too for sure if you don't care for them. what i meant, i guess, was that guinea pigs are way bigger which means more piss to clean up more often! :)

i saw the cutest cutest guinea pig in the pet store awhile back but managed to resist.