Jambands.ca

The Blue Jays are at it again...

badams

I think Zaun is going to be wayyyy overpriced this year, unfortunately. He is good value at a million a year, terrible value at 4-5 a year...especially if he gets a three year contract.

JP is a smart dude I bet he's got some trades in the works...Wells for Pudge and Verlander!!! Haha just kidding.

Zaun is worth 4 mil if you compare him to other catchers. He is still one of the better hitting catchers and was more productive than Benji before they brought him in to replace Greg. Also, Zaun is his own agent and will get 3-4 mil a season, but look for 2 years plus an option, which is fair, especially since cheap good hitting catchers are still uncommon - and 3-4 mil per is still not that expensive from a proven hitting catcher not prone to injuries and a leader.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Zaun is going to be wayyyy overpriced this year' date=' unfortunately. He is good value at a million a year, terrible value at 4-5 a year...especially if he gets a three year contract.

JP is a smart dude I bet he's got some trades in the works...Wells for Pudge and Verlander!!! Haha just kidding.[/quote']

Zaun is worth 4 mil if you compare him to other catchers. He is still one of the better hitting catchers and was more productive than Benji before they brought him in to replace Greg. Also, Zaun is his own agent and will get 3-4 mil a season, but look for 2 years plus an option, which is fair, especially since cheap good hitting catchers are still uncommon - and 3-4 mil per is still not that expensive from a proven hitting catcher not prone to injuries and a leader.

Fair enough, but if the Thomas rumours are true, the LAST thing we need is an offensive catcher who can't throw out runners. We need someone who can play defense. Zaun is slower than molasses when trying to throw some body out.

Don't get me wrong. Zaun is a good offensive catcher and leader. But he doesn't have a good arm. However he is a good catcher when it comes to handling pitchers.

Toronto doesn't have anyone in their system ready to take on an active back-up role, so Zaun is a good fit. Plus, you'll have a hard time finding a quality role player catcher for 1 million.

Don't get me wrong. Zaun is a good offensive catcher and leader. But he doesn't have a good arm. However he is a good catcher when it comes to handling pitchers.

Toronto doesn't have anyone in their system ready to take on an active back-up role, so Zaun is a good fit. Plus, you'll have a hard time finding a quality role player catcher for 1 million.

Let's see what JP can come up with in a trade.

I heard Zaun on the fan today, he says his contract talks arent going so well, all he really wants is whats average for a catcher but Ricciardi is being difficult. Also, hes representing himself, which is a bit strange. Given the poor market, Id like to see Zaun stay for a year or two, I guess. Sucks that theres no one good out there, Catcher is my fav position, and theres nothing to get excited about.

I know. I just listened to the press conference. All JP said was: Greg Zaun is our catcher. He is a professional. He takes business personally since he is his own agent etc...

I'm not too sad the Barajas deal fell through. But, the Jays still need to find another platoon type catcher.

I thought Thomas sounded confident with a hint of insincerity during his press conference. Thus, he's still the same guy.

I hope he's the same guy...

Career

487 HR - 1579 RBI - .305 AVG

Last Year

39 HR - 114 RBI - .270

He's not the samr Frank Thomas who lit up the league in his first 10 years. However he is a HUGE upgrade at the DH position. Lets just hope he stays healthy.