Jambands.ca

Copy Control CDs

hamilton

I've been reading some on-line discussions/complaints regarding the copy-control technology that some record labels - notably EMI - have been using. Aside from the obvious drawback of having playback issues on certain equipment and the inherent problems that go along with that, there seem to be differing opinions on whether the actual quality of the recordings themselves are in any way compromised. I know I have a few CDs that are copy-controlled and I have had absolutely no problems with them, but some people argue that the actual playback sound quality is not as good on CC discs.

Do any of you techie-types (TungstenGruven, I'm looking at you!) have an opinion on this? Is the sound quality in any way compromised by the use of copy-control technology? And if so, is it at a level at which the human ear can actually perceive, or is it just something that dogs can pick up on?

(From what I understand, EMI has stopped using the technology as of a few months ago - due to customer complaints over fair use, like being unable to transfer songs onto iPods - but of course there are still bazillions of copy-controlled CDs out on the market.)

From my understanding of what I've read on online & on various audio tech/help sites, is that its not so much the sound quality, but what appears to be a type of compatibility issue with some CD/DVD players, perhaps older ones, I dunno. Personally, I've had no problems, but I use a DVD player for CDs, as it seems to sound & play better. Maybe I just haven't come across one of those CDs yet also.

There are loads of reports of constant skipping, clicks, diginoise etc with brand new discs. Also, people have claimed that normal CDs won't play correctly after playing or trying to play a CC-CD, in some cases causing permanent damage to the equipment, be it CD, DVD or computer drives. Something about corrupt audio formats or disc information. Not sure how accurate that is though.

No real help towards your question I guess, but thats some of what I know anyway.