Jambands.ca

Civic Duty time...

CyberHippie

So tommorrow I gotta waste my day in court, I've been called for Jury duty. :buh:

Hopefully I can get out of it, if not I'm screwed. Super bad timing. It sounded like a good idea back when I was working for the man in a crappy office :laff:

Hope I can take my laptop in... At least maybe I'll be able to get a little game time in...

Damn system...

there's another thread on this from a few months' back when someone else (Cosmic Chris C, maybe???) was called for duty

my own experience was an excruciatingly BORING week of sitting through the jury-selection process for about 5 different trials. (But the bulk of the week is sitting in a large room with 500 other souls, simply waiting to be called into a courtroom for that selection process.)

My thoughts: you're IN for at least a week of time....during this time, IF your name is called for a possible jury, you have the opportunity ONLY THEN to tell the judge why it would be an undue hardship to sit on a jury. Some the excuses that seemed to work were:

~~already had a holiday booked (!!!)

~~person was integral to the running of their company and that a project, etc. would fail due to his/her absence

~~self-employed and would lose income/clients

no one tried a medical reason during all this. I claimed I was unfairly biased against a someone on trial for rape & murder since I was an active volunteer with the Rape Crisis Centre...but this was NOT seen as a valid excuse by the judge!!!!!!