Jambands.ca

CITIZENS OF OTTAWA

rubberdinghy

yeah...the opponent had a substantial lead throughout the campaign...then it was 'discovered' right before the election that he's gay. then he tanked. unbelievable.

that's why ottawa has no right to complain about anything the new mayor does.

Alex Munter has been publically gay for years and had no problem getting elected as a councillor, in conservative Kanata, multiple times.

I don't think there was any overt homophobia on the campaign trail but I did get that vibe from guys like Terry Kilrea, who ostensibly dropped out of the race to prevent a Munter victory.

I don't think the majority of people who voted for O'Brien did so because Munter is gay, but maybe enough of them did to make it the difference.

Some of the tipping point in the homophobic vote might have come from this area down south. Kilrea was getting tons and tons of hype in our local papers, which fits in well with the crimson cervical hue of much of the constituency. Then again, I don't think you can now go two pages in either of those papers without seeing a picture of Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre doing some banal thing for a gratuitous photo op.

There's one writer in one of those papers that I can actually read without the requisite irony; I always wonder if his job gives him a good daily laugh or drives him crazy (probably a bit of both).

ok sorry...i may be misinformed ollie...all i know is i never heard anything about him being gay before...and i was reading the papers during the whole election. i know i personally only 'found out' at the end there, and it was only announced on the radio then. then suddenly he goes from leading to losing. seemed pretty coincidental...?

Yeah that's awful. I know "queer eye for the straight guy" has given me the best advice ever for good posture:

Lead with your heart and not your head.

We definately need more of a feminine touch in Politics. Who better than a gay man?! :P

a woman :P

in the words of ronin williams, if women ran the world, there would be no more war, just severe negotiations every 28 days.