Jambands.ca

Matt Mays on Conan Tonight! (12/15)

ersh

Congrats to those guys. I saw Matt play in NYC last week and he had Jimmy Vivino (guitarist from the Max Weinberg 7) jamming with him on organ. El Torpedo keyboardist Robbie had met him the night before on a gig and asked him to come sit in at The Living Room. I guess it was the right connection to make. Sly Stallone is the guest tonight too.

Yeah I would add Matt to the famous people I know list too. I was a big Guthries fan when I lived in Halifax. I get the sense Andy Patil has been replaced in Torpedo. I saw a recent promo picture and I don't think he was in it but Dale Murray was and he only periodically played with them (fellow Guthrie and Anne's nephew).

Yeah, but I can't imagine bringing in Dale Murray to play bass. He's well known as a pedal steel and guitar player, and is currently playing with Cuff the Duke. You'll recall that Brad Conrad, the keyboard player before the new guy, also played steel, so maybe they've brought Dale in on guitar and steel, and maybe they've got Murphy moved over to bass? That seems like a wacky move though.

It would mean that Cuff the Duke is without a guitar/steel player though...hmm...

No I never meant that Dale came in on bass. Seems like Andy's gone and Dale's in. I'm sure Dale is still doing Cuff The Duke too and Hylozoists. Someone must be in the bass chair though. Maybe I'm wrong about Patil - bummer though he was my favourite largely cause I was a huge Holiday Snaps fan.

It's my understanding in the new year Matt will tour in support of his solo CD. When he does he will not be backed by El Torpedo, but by a number of musicians including Dale Murray and Serge Samson from the Guthries. I would assume Serge will play bass, but, from what I can tell, there's been no permanent change to the El Torpedo line-up. I know there are some promo photos (w/Dale Murray in them) out there for that tour.