Jambands.ca

IT.......

phishin4mango

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

i'd just like to point out, i'm 24 minutes into this set/jam and i'm having a hard time keeping myself from drooling. My jaw is on the floor. This shit is so spaced out and experimental, BUT NOT BORING. it has direction. it has feeling. not just some boring dribble.

Nothing like Lemonwheels. Much more inspired. Jams are tight.

Page is just been going off the wall the whole jam. He has been most prevalent. Gordo is just dropping the lowend bombs non stop. Trey is right in his element of course.

Fish is the only one keeping it together. Its very very good. Page is definately the star of the jam so far.

THere has even been some chanting and other vocal segments by trey and mike. NOw i'm hearing some serious vocal stuff about 25 minutes in, almost a full fledged vocal jam, but just using them as layering techniques.

This is definately the best Phish i've heard of 2003!
!!!
!!

VERY JEALOUS of all who caught this.

Ummm...I'm confused...

Didn't you roll your eyes at a post of mine about some of the great jams in February, and Trey's improved playing. I had assumed you no longer dug phish. Well...I guess it was just the last tour that was no good for you.

Oh, and the whole weekend was all about Page...I mean NICU, Yamar and Rock'n'Roll (which although I don't want to brag, I called half an hour before the set started). That was all just the first day.

quote:

Ummm...I'm confused...

Didn't you roll your eyes at a post of mine about some of the great jams in February, and Trey's improved playing. I had assumed you no longer dug phish. Well...I guess it was just the last tour that was no good for you.

Guess you just have to know me. I usually state it like it is. In this case, yes i did say that. Phish Feb tour was the worst phish my ears have ever heard. Sloppy, incoherant dribble. BUT THE PHANS ATE IT UP. that drove me insane. more than you can imagine.

now, sure the fans are still eating 'everything' up, but i still dont. What i will say is this summer 2003 has had more up than downs in each show, but still all shows have had their down moments.

feb tour had more downs then ups per show. i'm sure by fall tour they will have some perfect shows. i dont mean boring jams. i mean pure screw ups. i think to myself, they only played that cause they knew the fans would dig it, not cause they could play it, or even that they wanted to play it.

Now is a different story. That IT latenight set is some serious, serious stuff...

much more than the RR stuff. i know -7, 46 days, wotc, p&m all have been stretched out, but that didn't make them good. quality, focused jamming is what makes some of them good.

i really liked the crosseyed from pitts. i really thought the Mr Completely was a bore. Nothing like what TAB does with it.

Does that clarify anything?

[Wink]

sure...

I would have to agree mostly with what you said. I however am not picky and still think that a less-than-stellar Phish show is better than say, Justin Timberlake and would never roll my eyes at someone's opinion of music. Hampton was sloppy. Real bad stuff from Trey qwho forgot many of the words and the notes. But when I go and listen to Worcester and some of the jams they had that night, I have to say it was new and different, maybe just not focussed yet. For years before the hiatus they had relied on the same jams over and over and in February they took some risks and for that you should show some respect. Listen to the new life in Yem as a great example. I have seen YEm at hald the shows I have been too and have to say I was bored by '99. The YEM's on this tour were revolutional for the band and it was all because of what they tried to do in the winter, IMO. Reba can be put in the same boat I'd say, and these new tunes are starting to slowly smoke. Scents and Subtle sounds is going to be epic and so is WOTC. 46 Days I thought would be a nice fun GBOTT type tune, but then boom, they open it up and there it is. I could not beleive what I heard from them on that tune.

Anyways, this is a lot of drivvle. You can have your opinion if you want, and I am happy to keep mine. Just don't think you have the right to judge what anyone thinks unless you start by explaining exactly why and don't just use emoticons.

Peace brah...

it was just a simple rolling of the eyes.

it shouldn't have put down your musical opinion.

oh, and thanks for allowing me to have my musical opinion.

[Wink]

ps. "Listen to the new life in Yem as a great example"

The feb yems did nothing for me. but this summers yems have opened up a bit.

oh and finally, what is 'brah'.

i see it on yankee boards all the time, but have never asked. Is that the wookiee way of saying bro? or is like you calling someone 'bra', like a girls bra?

Or is it braHHH. and pronounce the H heavily?

I'm just curious.

Duudes,

All I have to say is that I was in the 3rd row for ALL 6 SETS!!

Thanks to Adam's Freeker friends for letting us ride on your front-row coat tails. (This is the pizza delivery girl)

Whoever didn't make it..as you already know, it was fuckin amazing! There was this disco RV way past Shakedown where this guy was spinning funk, 70's soul and motown all night for 3 nights. It was fuckin fun!

I met up with a friend I made at Bonnaroo in June. I didn't even know she was going to be there. What is that, a 1 in 70,000 chance?

Except for the mud everything was unbelievable. Jay, Jay and I had the best site, right by the RV lot/Family camping. We had cool neighbours from Boston and NY. And I met the craziest Long Islanders. All in all, it was a ***** star vacay!

Oh yeah, we left Thursday from Whitby at 10pm and were in Maine by 7AM. We were in the venue by 3pm Friday! I've never made it into a fest that fast. We had like a nonexistant wait.

Can't wait to get the pics back.

Stephanie

Okay. I think I'm ready to talk about IT now. IT as most experiences in life, had it's ups and downs. Certainly, being me, I don't want to focus on the negatives which included the traffic (both going in and on the way home - 4 f-in traffic jams), the mud, the 45 min walk to my campsite, missing the tower jam and the usual trappings of "scene". Not to mention that unforunately, I, Scottieking, got popped at the border on the way back for having smengys left over in my cigar pack and will now get extra special treatment when I chose to cross back in the grand ole US of A. My stupidity for not cleaning my bag out properly before take off and a lesson to all you kids out there. There is a catagory in the computer for residue.

But that aside, I still come home a happy man. I debated a full review but in starting, I think everyone who attended will agree that day two was so much stronger than day one. So here are my highlights in a easy to read, point form outline.

-free CD at the gates will that awesome Tweezer from Worchester to start

-Sunk City and the madness within

-that crazy water tower

-travelling in caravan style and managing not to break the chain until almost in the base

-secretly giggling as I watched a sea of humanity deal with a sea of mud

-the ability to set up a lawn chair, go for a rollerblade and have a beer on an Americian highway

-the awesome, awesome camera angles being shot on the big screens (pray,pray for DVD)

-great tourmates! I think we've almost got it down to a science

-the set pools that we did (which I tied with Northern Wish for first, sorry Pirahna, no points of you)

Musical highlights included:

Day 1 - A extra-stuffed, Page-alious Ya Mar, tight Reba, Vultures and Brother (firsts for moi), laughing constantly through Japanese Meatstick, Bowie, I liked the Seven Below>Scents and Subtle Sounds, however, for a superior SASS, check out the Deer Creek version and also, may I say the lowlight of the whole show is Spread It Round. Not only does this song blow dead bears but is pop-infectous enough to lodge itself in your brain for days. AARRGGH and finally, the Dog Log/Mango Encore. Overall, lots of Page on the day but my festival MVP will be announced after Day 2.

Day 2-Believe it or not, the first set is a little weaker than it looks. Lackluster versions of most songs with the exceptions of a mightier than usual Chalkdust, and a solid Weekapaug. The story of the set is the flubbed Wilson. Now Set 2 I loved. Mellow Mood opener. Supersized, super sick Ghost,pretty MIst, my new fav Pebbles and Marbles (tell you why in a second) perfect YEM, Loving Cup. A+ for sure. Now we come to the monster 46 days. This wasn't just a 46 days. It was a delivery device for this next phase Phish you may have heard so much about. Julius rocking, Lizards an absolute fav (especially with an almost St. Germain -esque jam at the end), and out the door with Antelope, thank-yous and the appre-po Good Times Bad times.

So why was it so good? What's this next phase? Here's my theories

1)FISHMAN! He is mixing it up so much, and throwing down more challenging beats both during standards and jams (see Pebbles and Marbles, Lizards, and the 46 days for examples)

2) I think the biggest reason is the boys are a team again. ALL voices are being heard equally (which was my big complaint from the Feb tour, of which I had few). It's not the Trey show anymore.As a result the sounds are lush, the jams experimental, and the telepathy is back on.

Thus endth the review. Overall, I think I'll quote Northern Wish as we walked out of the camp ground and were asked what IT was. He said "and IT wasn't the end" Not for them, not for me, in fact, IT will keep me coming back for a long time to come.

yes!

and don't forget the immortal words of the Mayor:

"I could tea-bag a soft-serve right now."

somehow i'd like to tie that line in with summing up my whole weekend but it's still early. Let's just say I had fun damnit- great party crew to be with, and I got to check off 4 new states on the 'where have I been to a concert' list...

Archived