Jambands.ca

IT.......

phishin4mango

well, we finally made it back home after tons of traffic delays and border madness. as far as reviews go......well, somehow i felt that the first nite was lacking energy even though the set list was pretty sweet. second nite was a blast....man, i am at a loss for words. maybe i should continue this after some sleep....had a great time with some good people, chris and lowell and chirs!!

thanks guys.....anyone else's opinion on the weekend????? somehow i have to get this mud off my feet..... [Wink]

Left IT right after the show monday night. We wanted to get out before the traffic.

How was the traffic getting out?

Had a blast at the show, the mud was crazy! Not as bad as the Vibes in 2001 though.

Thought they had some tight. 20 minute Yamar, Pebbles and Marbles and the second set on sunday where some highlights. Got to see some amazing shows this summer!

Chris, would love to check out the new poster when you have it online. I can send you some discs for a copy.

Was, IT was fun. Muddy, nasty portapotties, terrible traffic getting in and so-so weather, but the music was tight and well played so it was more than worth those slight inconveniences. The boys put on a great show. I caught 9 new tunes over two days which usually doesn't happen after seeing 55 shows! Pretty cool older bustouts for me and some nice new songs. I am enjoying the new tunes and I see real potential for a few of them.

The gronds of IT were pretty well organized and the sunken City was cool as hell inside the venue. I managed to grab an IT poster from inside on Day 2 which is nice.

Traffic getting out was a breeze. We left on Monday morning around 7ish and got out in 15 mins to the main road!

Colin

PhunkyB - nice to meet you at the border, although it was pretty brief.

Hey PhunkyB, yeah, it's funny, I got my haircut so long ago that I don't even notice it anymore, but I guess its been a long time since I've seen alot of the T DOT crew that you guys just wouldn't recognize me. Anyways, that border crossing was too funny. Loved the picture of "Dub'ya". Hilarious. Good to see you and Berm.

Some random thoughts of the weekend.

"IT" was my (Went, Wheel, Oswego & Cypress) 5th Phish Festival. I REALLY enjoyed the music and met alot of cool chilled out people. Saw alot of friends I havent seen in a long time and met new ones. The House of LivePhish was an AWESOME idea. Man did I ever make a PHATTY DISC:

1. Bathtub Gin 7/9/03 Shoreline ~ 30 mins

2. Harry Hood 7/25/03 Charlotte ~ 30 mins

3. Wolfmans Brother-> 7/13/03 The Gorge

Jesus Left Chicago ~ 20 mins

Musically, I think this may be the tightest I've ever seen them (from a musicians perspective)

.....they are REALLY ON, muchos muchos improved from the MSG/Hampton and Winter Tour.

THE WAIT/THE PARKING

We were in line at 9pm EST on Friday night and

finally had our trunks popped and tickets checked at 3:00 am Saturday early morning (Late night Friday). That was a 5 hour wait, and from what I gathered from talking to others, no too bad. I'd say the average wait was about 8 hrs. I had quite a few friends in line for 15 to 24 hrs.

To be fair, a good portion of the wait can be attributed to a few very annoying people who would disrupt the entire traffic line by rearranging their vehicles every 15 mins so that they were bumper to bumper with their friends. If you waited 15 hrs in line, you have those assholes to thank for a good part of the delay. But in the end, I honestly feel that if Phish had enough people working and having a sweet clue that was going on this would never have been an issue. At Big Cypress and Oswego we were directed right from the gate til we were parked.

I know the "Phish crowd" is generally (and accurately) known for being very peaceful, but I was really upset at the lack of workers/volunteers: we still need help figuring out where to park, geesh! It was ridiculously unsafe. There was literally no one directing people where to park. It was the equivalent to an open runway with a green light and a 'figure it out for yourself' mentality. It plainly wasn't safe. They don't want people using glowsticks but they'll give frustrated and tired drivers access to the Limestone 500 Freeway where phans are wandering around on drinking/partying/losing their minds. OK, thats makes lots of sense.

THE PORTAPOTTIES

The Portolets where we were camped closest to and all the other ones I tried throughout the concert grounds had crap coming out over/above the toilet seat as of early on Sunday. Totally disgusting. Not sure why they were never cleaned/emptied.

THE MUSIC

Rocked. Loved it. Good shows! The discs will speak for themselves.

Too bad we didn't hook up. I was lookin' for ya as well as some others but had no luck (at least with that). As far as everything else goes I think I had all the luck. Me and one of my travelling campanions were both completely speachless after the second set first night. Whatdy mean no energy. They took us for one hell of a ride (or was it just the shrooms [Eek!] ) maybe so, maybe not. I'll have to hear IT all over again to decide. I was pretty much front row center for everything. I got tipped off about the tower jam saturday morning and tried to spread it round but at the same time that was not my mission. The long set breaks were awsome - it allowed my to go back to base and fill my backpack with beers. It was especially even better when I found all the back ways into the festival grounds which allowed my to bring all the beers back in. The first night I accidentally found myself back stage. Didn't do too much good though cause right when I noticed I was were I was they started third set so I went around and watched IT. All in all I'm glad that I arrived!

this was one of the most invigorating and pleasurable tours I have ever been on- Alpine, the Creek and topping it with IT!

wow- dispite anything that could be constructivly criticized they did an excellent and very unique job of IT- everything we needed to work out did- everyone we wanted to run into we ran in to- even right as we were lining up in traffic and going over our weekend meetings and I mentioned "well- too bad we just ran into Anthony after the set and then not long enough to remember to ask him for his number and stuff".

Well- a few minutes later- just before we decided to jump the middle of the line out and go up the outside right side edge- (the fast way out!) this guy Anthony scooters up and hangs with us till IT started to rain and he said he had to go grab his shit out of the rain.

IT was perfect in all ways- really!

and can you beleive that they just got so much rain in that area that all up and down the St.Lawrence in Quebec IT is flooded- I'm sure Maine got shitloads more too.

right after IT was all done.

Although IT may have meant that the Phish crew have to clean up in the rain.

all in all a magical weekend and a magical finish to the tour.

can't wait till winter hope they sneak in a toronto date.

"Thier intent was only for our delight!"

to any one I didn't run into- I wish I had and to those I did and shabbily forget names- sorry- Stoner girls- always remembers the faces she can take awhile on the names though!

Hey Bouche!

I have about 100 or so fantastic pics of things such as the ferriswheel and watertower and fireworks (they are pretty cool photos- and I really want to share them!). we also have some great photos of the Sunk City!

if you can host some- let me know sizes and such and I'll shrink some down for you.

sunk city was a really cool little place to visit, but i have to admit that i was a little disgusted with the masquing tape ordeal. it is wonderful to express art and exprssions through various differnt mediums, but i felt that 10 000 rolls of masquing tape left in the hands of tweeked out individuals to wrap around beautiful trees was a little bit of a downer for me. personally i took a liitle tour through the maze but the masquing tape that was given to me was brought home to be put to better uses. i wonder what happend to those trees, and how many of their limbs had to be removed?? [Frown][Confused] any other opinions on this???

All I can say is that the new tunes kick som serious ass. Pebbles & Marbles was great and the 46 days was 7 minutes shy of being 46 minutes. this is not all I look for in a jam, but they did some serious playing in that time.

Mud was definately not as bad as GOTV 2001 but prety annoying.

Only complaint, getting camped at teh opposite end of teh site from the concert field. I still can barely walk due to some serious blisters betwee my toes (whoever told me to wear my chucks is going to get beaten -- oh shit - that was me).

I thought the people were very kind and the crew did a great job except on the traffic, which was not controllable since the grounds were so muddy and they want to be back next year. Right now my thoughts go out to some of my kids on the Clean Vibes crew who probably are 3/5ths of the way through their massive cleanup. At least they'll have lots of beer bottles left to pick up and cash in on.

MTC

almost forgot --

The border guards in NB were great. Pulled over everyone but were super polite and amusing. When I told the first guard we'd been in NJ first, he said, "Oh so you caught the show before as well, I saw that listed on the Website". Taking an interest and being prepared, it's good to see.

quote:

Originally posted by phishin4mango:

sunk city was a really cool little place to visit, but i have to admit that i was a little disgusted with the masquing tape ordeal. it is wonderful to express art and exprssions through various differnt mediums, but i felt that 10 000 rolls of masquing tape left in the hands of tweeked out individuals to wrap around beautiful trees was a little bit of a downer for me. personally i took a liitle tour through the maze but the masquing tape that was given to me was brought home to be put to better uses. i wonder what happend to those trees, and how many of their limbs had to be removed??
[Frown][Confused]
any other opinions on this???

I talked to the guy running the masking tape thing, and asked him how it was all going to come down. He said the tape was going to be ripped off the trees, and then formed into something to be later unleashed during the show. (I don't think this happened.)

As to the trees (which obviously wouldn't survive the tape-rip very well), he said they were slated to come down anyway, so I don't think the tape made things any worse.

Aloha,

Brad

i don't know about that, somehow we ended up with a different border guard. he seemed very concerned that the patchouly smell surrounding me was a sure sign that there must be something in our car. i think that having the dog sniffing absolutely everything was a bit much though....oh well, we are home safe and sound. [Wink]

that's too bad about the trees. it was just such a huge buzz kill for me seeing that sort of thing going on. perhaps they should have posted a notice outlining that the trees were slated to come down, but still, 10 000 rolls of masquing tape is alot of waste. we went to sunk city during the very last set break and it definetly didn't appear that they were going to be doing anything with the tape...

Sorry it took a while for everything to set in....

Yes the traffic was tough, the porta-potties were gross (unless you parked at the far end, the only nice part about our spot), and the mud, my god the mud- but Phish did it again. They played like we wanted them to play, like they could play, and thats why we all went isn't it?

IT all started when we pulled into the parking lot on the 89 East around noon on Friday. We had checked out moe. the previous night for free! in Portland and were only a few hours away in Bangor when we got up that morning. We had four cars in a caravan just a honkin and a smilin, as we all thought we were getting close enough to the venue that traffic would be minimal. 18 hours later our tickets were ripped. We did make the best of it out on the highway with the cooler, radio and lawnchairs being used all night. At least the traffic was still and we could party- Scottieking and tungstengruvsten were in our group, so you know we had a good time.... BTW, has anyone ever seen an operating NO2 tank on a highway?!?

Got in as the sun cameup, took a four hour nap- followed by egg and bacon sandwiches and it was nearly show time. I won't bore you with my thoughts on the music indiviually by songs- but that opening run... WOW! The end soloing by Trey in Jim, and everyone stepping up in Ya Mar- I knew it was ON! The whole weekend, they seemed to be really having fun, and most importantly playing as a group again. This is no longer the Trey show people.... Mike and Page were outstanding. As I listen back to the SBD's it's just too bad that the beautiful little touches that Page adds, get lost in the mix. Not a bad jam in the bunch... DWD, Ghost, 46 DAYS!!!!, Ya Mar, YEM all great versions. And the most important thing I noticed is there is a new jamming style. More of a rock soundscape (if that makes sense) than ever before. They just locked into grooves for minutes at a time and didn't sit back on them for 15 minutes like 97. I think it was highlighted during the Tower Set. Trey seemingly has found a new toy, some kind of super Jedi fuck you up with grinding powerful tones device (musicians?).

So all in all, Phish is surely back for real- IT was in fact, IT- I had fun- I'll be back!

Tonyrage, nice to see ya buddy- too bad the Tower Set distracted me and tungsten and I had to run.

Oh yeah and moe. was really cool too. Downtown Portland in the center of town, outside at 5:00. They played one long 2 plus hour set to a mob scene as there were lots of kids travelling north. Listen to the tapes of the show.... As they were going to start the encore, Al started talking about moe.down and named a bunch of bands then asked Rob who else was playing- at which point I belted out "nero" for all to hear.

Peace

Sean

its more than 15 bucks for one.

for two, thats not a reason to ruin an aud tape and knock over a tapers stand.

for three, i have five LP shows, and have needed to matrix all five because just LP on its own sounds to tinny. Needs some depth. Needs some feeling. So of course, the matrix is the best of both worlds.

I will definately be getting the LP's for this tour, as i Did for the Feb tour, and the Dec stuff. But will matrix them all of course.

Really not an excuse for knocking over taper rigs though. Did ya catch that article booche posted the other day?

Anyways, i just finished download the Tower Jam from IT, and so far its kinda cool. Reminds me of the thick of things at the midnight>sunrise set @ BC.

Like at any point now, quadrophonic topplings could be busted out.

i'd just like to point out, i'm 24 minutes into this set/jam and i'm having a hard time keeping myself from drooling. My jaw is on the floor. This shit is so spaced out and experimental, BUT NOT BORING. it has direction. it has feeling. not just some boring dribble.

Nothing like Lemonwheels. Much more inspired. Jams are tight.

Page is just been going off the wall the whole jam. He has been most prevalent. Gordo is just dropping the lowend bombs non stop. Trey is right in his element of course.

Fish is the only one keeping it together. Its very very good. Page is definately the star of the jam so far.

THere has even been some chanting and other vocal segments by trey and mike. NOw i'm hearing some serious vocal stuff about 25 minutes in, almost a full fledged vocal jam, but just using them as layering techniques.

This is definately the best Phish i've heard of 2003!!!!!!

VERY JEALOUS of all who caught this.

Archived