Jambands.ca

Huge ice shelf breaks free in Canada's far north

\/\/illy

watched an inconvenient truth over the holidays, and this lovely sunny day we are having makes me very nervous. another nail in the coffin for canada's polar bears too, i would expect.

*sigh*

at least the sunshine will make us all feel marginally less sad about the whole sorry mess.

Once again, I have to provide the definition of Global Warming.

Global Warming is the theory that an increase in C02 in the atmosphere is causing an increase in global average temperatures.

There is a great essay on this topic in State of Fear, a work of fiction by Michael Crichton. Anyone who knows his work also knows that he spends 2-3 years working full-time on research before he writes a book. His essay includes amazing and startling work on the topic of global warming, showing BOTH sides of the issue.

I am NOT saying that global warming is a myth, but it sounds to me like most of you are arguing that there is climate change, and NOT global warming neccessarily.

"Ice shelves in Canada's far north have decreased in size by as much as 90 percent since 1906, and global warming likely played a role in the Ayles break, Copland said."

Even if there's a smidgen of truth to this, shouldnt that be enough to worry us?

And what is Chrichtons OTHER side of the argument? That theres ootles of proof, but untill the world implodes, we shouldnt be worried? I just dont get what anyone gets out of denying the whole stupid mess.

Hal, humans are most definitely causing global climate change. That being said, there are many drivers to this, one of which is increased C02 in the atmosphere. It is simplistic to yell Global Warming when you read these articles. That is what I have an issue with. In the late 70's there was an impending doom of a coming ice age.

Here's a counter-argument that I will make. Fear breads consumption. Global Warming is one of the great fears of many, yet we all know that as individuals there is little we can do to curb an increase in C02 levels in the atmosphere. Perhaps the reason that Global Warming is such a prevalent fear, over something like sustainable living (aka zero footprint), is that adopting a zero footprint approach to living would cause mass producers significant financial harm.

Just a thought.

Remember how much profit was made over Y2K fears?

Fear breads consumption. Global Warming is one of the great fears of many, yet we all know that as individuals there is little we can do to curb an increase in C02 levels in the atmosphere.

From the intro to Tim Flannery's book, The Weather Makers:

"The best evidence indicates that we need to reduce our CO2 emissions by 70 percent by 2050. If you own a four-wheel drive and replace it with a hybrid fuel car, you can achieve a cut of that magnitude in a day reather than half a century. If your electricity provider offers a green option, for the cost of a daily cup of coffee you will be able to make equally major cuts in your household emissions. And if you vote for a politician who has a deep committment to reducing CO2 emissions, you might change the world. If you alone can acheive so much, so too can every individual and, in time, industry and government on Earth.

The transition to a carbon-free economy is eminently achievable because we have all the technology we need to do so. it is only a lack of understanding and the pessimism of confusion generated by special interest groups that is stopping us from going forward."

Once again, I have to provide the definition of Global Warming.

Global Warming is the theory that an increase in C02 in the atmosphere is causing an increase in global average temperatures.

I am NOT saying that global warming is a myth, but it sounds to me like most of you are arguing that there is climate change, and NOT global warming neccessarily.

an increase in global average temperatures could cause an ice shelf to break loose, couldn't it? i don't know what you are arguing against here.

ps. and last winter was definitely not a cold one...unless you've got some stats for me!

Edited by Guest