Jambands.ca

ANyone going to Jimmy Swift in Vancouver tonight?

Tenenbaum

It was a solid JSB show but I was strangely uninterested in the dancefloor but did manage to catch up with some friends and hear some flawless playing.

incredible.

As for Jackfruit, they stole the show. A bit sad when the opener is more impressive than the headliner, but it was for a different reason than I am generally impressed by JSB so 'upstaged' is definitely not something that is going to be said and I'm not really sad, nor should anyone else be for that matter.

$12 for cover was a bit excessive but I wasn't drinking much and these bands deserve to be paid fairly. They were great.

Well, Deeps you are right from one perspective.

Another perspective is that more bars should allot a budget for paying entertainment and pay the guarantee out of the till, and split cover and pay out a percentage of bar profits to the entertainment.

Want to play canned music? pay SOCAN fees with a sliding scale based on attendance and bar sales.

Want to show PPV? do it. Want a Jukebox? do it.

I want to keep seeing great bands in my town but I still think that the climate should actually keep entertainers warm rather than have to rely on cover to pay the acts.

Cover should really only have to be charged for promoted events and I didn't even see much action on the messageboards, let alone postering. The bar did their regular calendar flyer but unless it was flyered in other neighbourhoods around East Van and by the University, downtown was sadly missed.

I'm not JUST a cheap dick that likes to complain about everything.

If you look back I did comment about fair pay and the fact that I wasn't drinking much.

Personally, I'd like to see more local action getting to a point where fans and the local media actually make live entertainment a stronger force in Vancouver. Travelling bands are great but they don't really reflect well on Vancouver. Most of the acts that I want to see plan their tours for a mid-week show and play California on the weekend cause the NorthWest is very sleepy.

I would like to thank JSB and Jackfruit for starting my weekend off right and cramming the dancefloor, bar, and seating. great turnout for a fantastic party.

Another perspective is that more bars should allot a budget for paying entertainment and pay the guarantee out of the till, and split cover and pay out a percentage of bar profits to the entertainment.

Yup... I agree BUT you know what, that's not how the game is played anymore. A band on tour (especially as worthy as JSB or Jackfruit), like them or not, deserve to get paid and well at that. From what I recall, the fairview, media club et al. don't pay for entertainment... all revenues are generated from the door. They don't even promote the shows. Cover was $12... shit it should have been way more if you ask me but I'm biased I guess.

Unfortunately, we've lost the support of our venues (most) leaving the fans to pick up the tab. If the tab isn't paid, bands can't tour... simple as that! If bands can't tour, you're left with...

$20+ cover charge doesn't seem to be an issue if the band tours in from the states, I don't see $15 for an established touring Canadian band to be unreasonable.

I don't disagree but I'm sort of an idealist.

The issue with the $20 American band is often times a more established act than our Canadian acts. Why else would they come to Canada? I'm generally impressed more often than not when I go for a bigger ticket. When I go out on a limb for a smaller act it doesn't always live up to the bigger show.

Now, that being said, if I were on the fence about going to a show at the fairview I'd stay home for a show that was $15 cover. If It were just another night out compared to a show that I'd be planning to see that would be the dealbreaker.

I am absolutely aware of the fact that few venues/bars are even nice to the musicians. I don't know of any bars that will work a door/bar deal or even like working with guarantees.