Jambands.ca

seasoning white rice

slavetothegroove

If you use a rice cooker you have a million and one options to replace the water with another liquid or add chopped veggies or whatnot. If you do stovetop you can still do the same but you'll have to keep an eye on the cooking time whereas the rice cooker just magically knows when everything is ready.

I have broken up chunks of dried mushrooms (adding a bit more waer than what's called for for the rice). A bit of sasame oil in the water is also good with more sesame seeds on top afterwards.

I don't make the plain ol' white rice very often as Jasmine and Basmati have their own flavour and don't need to be adulterated. Plain SUshi rice (i.e. sticky rice with the rice vinegar/sugar/salt flavouring after cooking) is really good warm and on it's own as a side.

you can just saute some garlic, mushrooms and green onion(and any other veggie you may want) with butter the same pot that you are going to make the rice in. Then add the rice and water as per instructions. Using chicken or veggie stock instead of water really adds yum. If you are using lemon on the salmon you can tie the flavors together by adding lemon zest to the rice.

check this....

Haitian black rice with peas...

salted pork fat, djon-djon in pressed cube form(haitian mushroom, sorta like a bouillion cube), garlic, salt, cayenne, peas, brown rice.

Fry the peas, garlic, pork fat, salt, cayenne with some olive oil, add the rice, fry a bit more, then add the liquid, chicken stock is my fave.

Then cook the rice normally....

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will definitely take them into consideration for future rice making. I ended up just putting basil, chopped dried onion, garlic powder and pepper. It's really all I had sadly, running low on the spice rack. Ended up turning out really good.

I've heard so much about these rice cookers and Matt really really wants one so it's definitely a future investment.