Jambands.ca

Neon Bible = Quite Good...

shainhouse

after 4 listens it's definitely not at the level of Funeral for me. there are some standout tracks, the remake of No Cars Go is great, Ocean of Noise is a wonderful song, really like the almost mariachi horns at the end.

There are some filler tracks - Neon Bible, geez that song is a buzzkill.

Feels like it's missing the urgency and epics of the first disc... Where are the songs on par with Wake Up, Tunnels, Power Out, Lies...

Doesn't sound as lush to me though. But maybe it's unfair to compare to Funeral... Such a great disc. Neon Bible is good, just not as good. But maybe it'll grow.

From what I've heard (and I must confess I haven't heard it all), I must say, at this point, I share Meggo and AD's disapointment. Maybe as meggo said it was the huge expectation.

The presence of Arcade Fire on the international music scene is so important for the Canadian music scene that for them to come up short now would be a huge let-down. (I realize that's a pretty narrow? selfish? point of view and probably placing expectations on them that they neither want nor asked for, but that's how I feel...this morning anyways).

Maybe this one's a sleeper. (Maybe I should actually listen to the whole thing :P ).

There are some filler tracks - Neon Bible, geez that song is a buzzkill.

Feels like it's missing the urgency and epics of the first disc... Where are the songs on par with Wake Up, Tunnels, Power Out, Lies...

Doesn't sound as lush to me though.

i agree with all of this - and thanks AD for sendspacing it yesterday.

i listened to it about 4 or 5 times through yesterday, too, and im trying not to make a quick vs. Funeral type comparison, cuz i do like it, think it will grow further on me, and i dont think they could have touched Funeral if they tried, BUT that part about missing the urgency and epicness of the first one... i was trying to put my finger on it as i listened, and to me it seemed a little more reserved and constrained.

down to the core, though, i think i really like these songs... when i was listening, i was trying to imagine what these songs would sound like totally stripped down, guitar and voice, and in its dark, haunting, brooding way i dont think it would be so far removed from nebraska-era springsteen... i mean, 'antichrist television blues' might as well be open all night, or johnny99 even.

i think it's a pretty good album, though, and a great follow-up to Funeral... it's not a regression, it's not a flop, it's quite good and they've probably gained themselves at least another 15 mintues, maybe even 30... which is good news for anyone who likes music.

I'm on listen 4 currently.

Listen 1: Stoned. Last night. Home.

Listen 2: Car ride to work this morning.

Listen 3 : History Office, cranked to annoy adjacent English/Home Ec office.

Thoughts:

1. As far as a follow-up goes, they've passed the first hurdle, which is not completely sucking (see new Bloc Party for details. TERRIBLE!)

2. Funeral is not just an album but a phemoneon. You can't surpass it (see in the same category OK Computer)

3. The album itself lacks the fullness that we came to know from the last album. And no, trying to replace it with a huge fucking organ isn't going to have the same effects.

4. The lyrics and theme of the whole album is really beginning to unfold for me. I suspect that it is a concept album about the antichrist and the death of religion. From that aspect I think they are still bang on.

5. Every time a song gains momentum, it cuts off. Violently.

6. That being said, gone too are the multi-part, switch the beat, start slow finish fast style I came to love. As well, lots and lots of "classic" 50/60's drum beats makes me think about dancing, but the lack of edge stops me from losing control.

7. Régine Chassagne's solo singing bugs me most of the time . Sorry.

8. Overall, I think I'll listen to this often, but no way is it destined to become the soundtrack of life in anyway (which currently seems rotate between the Hold Steady and Yo La Tengo)

9. I can't stress enough how bad the new Bloc Party is.

I've listened to it three more times through now, and while I still like it, it is no where near the level of Funeral. But again, Funeral is one-of-a-kind. I really enjoy the last two songs, as well as the first two, but Regine's singing is getting to me a bit.. too high pitched.

I need to listen to it on a good stereo to eek out the hidden gems probably buried beneath. I do love the lyrics. As simple and profound as Funeral.

from what I understand, this leak is of a particularly low sound quality of encoding to mp3 (recorded off of internet streams?). Apparently, only the officially released track on iTunes 'Intervention' is of a reasonable sound quality. I guess you could consider it a taster but I'm sure the cd audio quality coming across a good stereo system will bring it to its full vitality. I've already pre-ordered my extended release version with the little bible booklet thingy.... can't wait!

cheers

adambrot

i don't know the pedigree of the leaked recording, but i haven't seen any streams of the album online, and trust me, i was looking for a long time. It just doesn't sound like a webrip, for the most part it's pretty clear and dynamic.

but yes, i have my pre-order in for the vinyl from insound, works out to about $22 canadian even after shipping, and includes a download coupon. this is something i feel i must buy.

Am I the only person that just can't stand LOOKING at that band. They give me the fuggin' skeevies up and down. Like 'my' people are supposed to stomp 'their' people and have historically done so successfully. That Archie mutherfugger Richard Reed makes me want to smash his fucking spectacles, Win and Regine couldn't be a more annoying couple, Win strikes me as having all of the attitude of Bowie and none of the personality. I could just do without the whole bunch of them.

Obviously I'm a bitter mutherfugger and have never connected to their music but honestly I could see myself being at another stage if or when they play Hillside.

how can it be less enjoyable if you've never heard it. i don't know what a skeevy is.

oh well. i was looking forward to your critique of it, but i wasn't aware you hated them. now i'm not really looking forward to it :)

do you really think it's possible they're playing hillside again? i would be shocked shocked shocked.

I don't know I've got pretty good sources. This one notably didn't come from Baijal the artistic director. It came from someone already booked who is handled by the Hidden Cameras and Final Fantasy's agent. The Arcade Fire connection is pretty blatant there. I think knowing Baijal, crowds be damned, if he can get them for cheap and they seem to be into playing some small shows right now then he'll do it if he hasn't already.

I didn't say anything about the album better or worse just how I hate looking at their faces. I'll give it a fair listen and am genuinely interested but Funeral never did anything for me so by way of contrast I can offer little.

the reason I suggested a stream is because I know that they posted a bunch of the tracks on various fake myspace pages under different pseudonyms in order to get some anonymous feedback over the past several months. They could've been recorded from those sources. I don't know, however. Can anyone who has this leaked version confirm differences in sound quality between the official 'Intervention' release and the rest of the tracks?

cheers

adambrot

the reason I suggested a stream is because I know that they posted a bunch of the tracks on various fake myspace pages under different pseudonyms in order to get some anonymous feedback over the past several months. They could've been recorded from those sources. I don't know, however. Can anyone who has this leaked version confirm differences in sound quality between the official 'Intervention' release and the rest of the tracks?

I think it's a real leak of the album. The myspace rumour has never been confirmed.

I have the official Intervention single release, FLAC, and to my ear can't tell a difference between the leak and the single.

I don't have advanced audio tools to do a real comparison though, I'd be curious if anyone here did that. Probably not worth it though, the quality is good enough for me to listen to, that's all I really care about.

A week and a half til my Montreal show!

AD