Jambands.ca

Atta boy JT - MTL review

Booche

Im not saying hes bad, Im saying his form of entertainment bites, and is so incredibly overblown with hype and hysteria that it aint worth the hard earned dollar you've earned to spend on it. The same goes for most big-venue shows. Its all hype. Dude's just a dude.

But the dude's not just a dude, is he? I mean, I'm just a dude; no one is going to pay big bucks to see me sing something. They're not even going to pay small bucks to see me fart in a jar. If you've got talent and people are willing to pay to watch you, how does that make it "hype"? How can you admit that he has talent one moment and then say that it's all hype the next?

As rumoured, there was a cameo by super-producer Timbaland, who gives the new album much of its edge. But at a full half-hour, his intermission "beaterator" jam went on far too long, breaking the flow of the night - nothing Timberlake couldn't fix upon his return.

How much do you want to bet the reviewer has no idea what they're talking about here? I'd love to see twenty minutes of Timbaland's 'beaterator'. It's FUCKING Timbaland.

Those are the kinds of shows that usually get "good" reviews ... mainly because they are mainstream pop. Get that same reviewer out to some lesser-known, non-label, grassroots band (like the ones we all listen to) and you'd get something completely different.

I do understand that the kid does have talent ... just not a talent that I would enjoy experiencing :P

After living in Montreal for five years and reading T'cha Dunlevy's reviews frequently, he is usually pretty bang on. And he DOES in fact review a lot of lesser known gigs and certainly gives props only when props are due.

After living in Montreal for five years and reading T'cha Dunlevy's reviews frequently, he is usually pretty bang on. And he DOES in fact review a lot of lesser known gigs and certainly gives props only when props are due.

That's refreshing. IT's good to find a reviewer who you can "trust" or that has similar tastes to your own.

"I've been all around the world and I've never seen a statue of a critic" - Leonard Bernstein