Jambands.ca

Family of SnowCops descend on Ottawa

Kaidy Mae

The countdown is on. In just 2.5 more days Brinapple, myself and the fam will be loading up our flasks and heading for the chilly skating that is the Rideau Canal. I can't wait!!!

The bus picks us up Friday morning to take us to the train in Toronto and then we hop on a train to head to the Chateau Laurier! Best. Christmas gift. Ever.

Any of you Ottawa folks want to meet up over the weekend? I know Calamity what's-her-name is bringing the baby Calamities down to skate and swim. ;)

I think Friday we're going to see Jason Collett and on Sunday we're checking out the Cirque comedy sketches. Not sure about the Golden Dogs on Saturday though. What else is going on?

Del? Bouche/Sharon? Surly Booche/Lynn?

Sharpen up your blades folks and let's get together for some "high tea" and Beaver Tails. Yay!

Special Agent SnowCop, "Twinkle Toes" Muldoon

Prior to The Golden Dogs @ Mavericks, I think a lot of people are seeing Vandermark 5 at Zaphod Beeblebrox. I think the V5 show should be over by 11pm (they're doing two sets, with an early start, and Zaphod's turns the house over to DJs at 11pm), which should make it possible to get to Mavericks in time for The Golden Dogs (who I'm guessing won't start before midnight; there are two opening acts, and TGD usually doesn't do more than an hour and a half or so).

Aloha,

Brad

I hate to break this to you but the train to the Chateau Laurier stopped running over 30 years ago.

Ha ha ha! Yeah, I knew that. I supposed we'll be grabbing a few of Ottawa's finest taxi cabs.

Thanks for the info bradm. And Deb, I'm getting in around 4 or so. I'll PM you the cell # of someone in our group. Oh, you'll be hearin' from me, Del.

Good times. I can't wait. Hopefully it won't be too freezing. Weeeeee...

Back to shoveling off the roof. *sigh*

Ha ha ha! Yeah, I knew that. I supposed we'll be grabbing a few of Ottawa's finest taxi cabs.

If you want to take public transit, the VIA station is on the Transitway, so you can take the #95 bus heading downtown (you have to walk across/over the transitway to get to the going-downtown side). Get off at a few stops later at the Rideau Centre (aka The Mackenzie King Bridge; ask the driver to let you know when you get there), walk through the Rideau Centre to Rideau St., and the Chateau Laurier is a quick walk off to your left. Cash fare is $3.

http://www.octranspo.com

Aloha,

Brad

Sweet! Thanks again, Brad. Your wealth of information never ceases to amaze me. Perhaps our paths will cross on Saturday. :)

Heck, that little tidbit was easy: I take the train to/from Toronto several times a year, and take the #95 each way. :)

A more significant thing to know is that there's a Liquor Store in the Rideau Centre. There's also a beer store on Rideau between the Rideau Centre and Mavericks (to the right as you exit the Rideau Centre onto Rideau), and a much bigger Liquor Store further along Rideau (past the 24-hour Loeb grocery store).

Hope to see you on Saturday!

Aloha,

Brad

You're welcome. If you check out this map of where the Fairmont Chateau Laurier is, the Beer Store and Mavericks are on Rideau between Dalhousie and Cumberland. The Loeb is at Rideau and Cumberland, and the big Liquor Store is at Rideau and King Edward (with a smaller one actually inside the Rideau Centre).

Aloha,

Brad

Cash fare is $3.

Multiply by number of people in your party... might want to consider cabbing it as the train station is not that far from downtown.

True. Schlepping luggage on the bus can also be cumbersome at times, especially if it's crowded.

Aloha,

Brad

Okay, I'm exhausted from shoveling snow just so I can get to work to provide nutritional information to MORONS.

But...Brinapple just got here, I'm all packed up and ready to go. Weeee!

I hope things in Ottawa aren't as snowy as they've been in the Orillia area as of late. Booooo! The snow is up to my waist!

Should be arriving around 4:30 tomorrow. Can't wait.