Jambands.ca

Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork, Killers, Interpol, in Toronto

AD

Hoping Bjork comes to Montreal as well!!

The Smashing Pumpkins, the Chicago alternative rock band, are the headliners for Toronto's Virgin Festival this September.

The band split up in November 2000, but reunited last year, so it will be their first concert in Canada since the reunion.

Other confirmed acts include, from the U.S., rockers the Killers and indie rock band Interpol and from Britain, jazz and soul singer Amy Winehouse and British singer-songwriter Jamie T. Also on the bill are Icelandic singer Bjork and Canadian indie band Tokyo Police Club.

The first Canadian Virgin festival, dubbed VFest, was held in Toronto last year. The headline band, Massive Attack, cancelled its appearance after failing to get U.S. visas.

The rock festival, which originated in Britain and features a discount ticket and high-profile rock acts, is backed by Virgin Mobile and its president Richard Branson.

This year, a Virgin Festival is also scheduled for Vancouver on May 20 and 21. Confirmed acts include My Chemical Romance, the Killers and Metric. Tickets are still available.

Toronto's 2007 Virgin Festival is Sept. 8 and 9 in Island Park and tickets go on sale March 24.

I feel as though any reference to Billy Corgan's new touring band should be listed as "Smashing Pumpkins" in quotation marks. The Pumpkins were always his band, but I think he's being pretty liberal with his use of that name given that James and D'Arcy aren't a part of things this time around.

That said, it looks like a pretty wicked day of music.

Edited by Guest

i saw the pumpkins a number of years ago at massey hall and really enjoyed them. the most memorable part of the show was the ending when they invited people up onto the stage with them, individually handed off their instuments to these people instructing them to "just play" and within a couple of minutes the band had all left and this bunch a non-musicians were jamming away - very badly. it was kinda bizarre but fun. and for sure hart, james and d'arcy were/are a huge part of this band.

the v-fest tanked last year because of organizational stupidity too. i seem to recall that the flaming lips only played a half hour set or something because of delays throughout the day and a curfew on the island. people were pissed! in fact, the band actually had to apologize for the fiasco the very next day.

toronto island is the single worst venue for this sort of show, i thot they would have learned from that blunder, but i guess not. i dont hold out much hope for this year's event if it's run by the same jokers who "attempted" to run it last year. my dog could put on a better festival.

Edited by Guest

i'll have a word with her tonight, she may be into organizing it, although she's usually very busy sleeping, eating, peeing and woofing at squirrels ;)

besides, other than Courtney Love, who else could play Dogfest? (and fwiw, I do think Ms Love is simply one of the best female rock singers ever!, so I joke with love)

Edited by Guest