Jambands.ca

the scene and the community

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to stop thinking about these "scene" questions. They're eating up my day.

The way I picture a scene is quasi-dramatically - i.e., you have a ritual setting for characters to get together and interact. I.e., here's a scene whenever a date and time are scheduled for people to gather at and people know the general formal contours of what's going to happen. When all that's staked out, then it's about the rules that apply to the game, and how people play within those rules.

It seems to me, the blessing (and sometimes the curse) of "this scene" is that very few rules do apply, relative to other scenes (say, a church, a chamber music performance, or a jacket-and-tie restaurant). It's what makes that freedom-from-constraint aspect of this scene different from others with similarly limited restrictions that interests me (say, a death-metal show, a rave, or a Saturday night in a country bar).

Rules aside, there is the dual attraction of funny and friendly people and great, open-ended music that keeps me coming out (when I get to). There seems to me no other reason why people start getting stoked about certain festivals months ahead of time.

Hey, that's really good news. (sorry about the hijack folks). Sara's still in Toronto now but it looks like I can stay up here for a couple years. We have a little one on the way so staying up here makes sense. Raising a baby in Toronto doesn't seem to make a lot of sense right now. As a matter of fact, we may end up in Owen Sound also!!

Yup, sorry for the hijack.

BR - we'll be in touch.