Jambands.ca

the scene and the community

when it seemed like we'd travel to see BNB every weekend. (or the Fatties or GTB or Wassabi or JSB or......)

To me it seemed to start changing a few years back when as the band's we loved started changing their direction' date=' disbanding or taking breaks.

[/quote']

I still see quite a bit of travelling folks going to different cities to see shows. Maybe not the in the numbers that it used to be, but it's still happening.

Anyway, when I go out to a show, it's always filled with lots of hugs and meeting up with people I call friends.

and that is why I mentioned;

then again, that view is directly correlated to the fact that I go to a show every 2 or 3 months now instead of every weekend.
Not really many of those old bands have disbanded either. BnB still kicking, JSB, Fatties etc. Hell, even nero are playing a few dates. Sure there may be some changes of direction taking place, but that is necissary otherwise the music and the "community" will grow stagnant. That being said, I don't even see a whole lot of direction change either. Maybe GTB has gone a bit more "indie" but let's face it, GTB never really fit comfortably into the "jamband" category.JSB has evolved into an electronic/rocker/jam tour de force. Wassabi, still keeping it going with the Island/electronic flavour etc.

You're right - the Fatties are still kickin' and rock solid at that.

However, since 2001 BNB got rid of percussionist Jeffrey Kornblum and then subsequently broke-up. Yes, they got back together are back and sounding good but their new music is creeping toward the indie sound not the full out mind bending onslaught it used to be.

GTB - ya you might be right about the jamband label but there music used to move me - now it just makes me move away.

Wassabi - since 2001, broke up, got rid of their marimba players and have reformed.

JSB - well they do sound the same but I don't eat nearly as much "e" as I used to (and the jamtronica music, to me, doesn't sound good unless I'm all fired up)

Nero - broke up (with 4 reunion shows)

Anyways, my point with the bands being that, other than the Fatties and Diesel Dog and sometimes BNB, there's not enough good music pulling me out.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with you with what you say about all those bands but there's a lot going on besides them that are a lot of fun. Jackfruit is a good example. The Slip run was amazing.

I also agree that it's pretty impossible to go out every weekend to party in a bar dancing the night away. We can't stay 21 forever. You definatley have to be choosy. There's nothing wrong with going with the old fav's.

I don't really feel like I need something external to confirm my identity. I like music, I see shows, sometimes I run i to people I know, sometimes I don't and have a chance to make new friends with new people. There will always be music to shake yer booty.

and there are soooo many good bands to go out and see, it's just too bad that most people in this 'scene' wont give them a chance unless they're opening up for one of the top 10 'required' bands.

Edited by Guest

All these posts debating old and new bands of the "scene" and our own chronological age (and aging) as a impediment or catalyst to being part of the community make me think that alot of us find it difficult to adapt our idea of what this community actually is.

Meaning we identify characteristics of belonging-drug use, travelling, going to shows-but dont quite know whether membership is determined by those things.

I'd say for myself, in my teens, this scene was appealing because it was a community of misfits hellbent on positivity and visceral experience,with a really superb party soundtrack.

Aging thru it those elements developed a darker side-addictions, irresponsibility etc etc.And the so called inclusiveness was at times very transparently just another method of exclusivity-just another us and them dressed up in a different (more colourful) uniform.

People in this community are just as shitty and just as wonderful as they are in any other ,likely.

But the music remains.

Maybe I'm tiring of this debate as it enters it's 6th year, and seemingly monthly reappearance, but chances are if you think there's a scene, then its still there, and if you are accepted by a group of individuals, then you are in a community. It's strength and size therefore become irrelavant.

I just posted this on another thread and i thought i would post it here too..

I will do my personal best to ensure you somewhere to to drink,,fall down,,and or be the freak that you are!!! Why do you think we have had fourteen boat cruises in a row,, tea time?

maybe mushroom tea..

NOTHING WILL EVER STOP THIS TRAIN FROM ROLLING ON DOWN THE HIGHWAY!!!!! WE BELIEVE IN THE FREAK!! COME ON ,,,, YOU SHOULD TOO!!!

Have I gone too far with this?? I've just read so much crap on these boards lately.. it seems like you all have lost focus..

MUSIC IS LIFE,, DANCING IS OUR SOULS,, COMMUNICATIONS WITHOUT WORDS,, SHAKE YOUR HAIR AND ROCK N ROLL.. LET LOOSE BROTHERS AND SISTERS,, TAKE OUR LOVE TO THE STREETS,, LET US ALL COME TOGETHER WHENEVER WE ALL MEET.. LET THE JOURNEY CONTINUE INSPIRED BY THE YOUNG.. LET THEIR BANDS PUSH US FORWARD, LET OUR TRADITIONS KEEP US YOUNG..

WE ARE F A M I L Y

FAMILY... I KNOW THIS WHEN I SEE YOU!!!

MUSIC IS LIFE,, DANCING IS OUR SOULS,, COMMUNICATIONS WITHOUT WORDS,, SHAKE YOUR HAIR AND ROCK N ROLL.. LET LOOSE BROTHERS AND SISTERS,, TAKE OUR LOVE TO THE STREETS,, LET US ALL COME TOGETHER WHENEVER WE ALL MEET.. LET THE JOURNEY CONTINUE INSPIRED BY THE YOUNG.. LET THEIR BANDS PUSH US FORWARD, LET OUR TRADITIONS KEEP US YOUNG..

WE ARE F A M I L Y

FAMILY... I KNOW THIS WHEN I SEE YOU!!!

Cjamson - you are my worst nightmare.

when it seemed like we'd travel to see BNB every weekend. (or the Fatties or GTB or Wassabi or JSB or......)

To me it seemed to start changing a few years back when as the band's we loved started changing their direction' date=' disbanding or taking breaks.

[/quote']

I still see quite a bit of travelling folks going to different cities to see shows. Maybe not the in the numbers that it used to be, but it's still happening.

Anyway, when I go out to a show, it's always filled with lots of hugs and meeting up with people I call friends.

and that is why I mentioned;

then again, that view is directly correlated to the fact that I go to a show every 2 or 3 months now instead of every weekend.
Not really many of those old bands have disbanded either. BnB still kicking, JSB, Fatties etc. Hell, even nero are playing a few dates. Sure there may be some changes of direction taking place, but that is necissary otherwise the music and the "community" will grow stagnant. That being said, I don't even see a whole lot of direction change either. Maybe GTB has gone a bit more "indie" but let's face it, GTB never really fit comfortably into the "jamband" category.JSB has evolved into an electronic/rocker/jam tour de force. Wassabi, still keeping it going with the Island/electronic flavour etc.

You're right - the Fatties are still kickin' and rock solid at that.

However, since 2001 BNB got rid of percussionist Jeffrey Kornblum and then subsequently broke-up. Yes, they got back together are back and sounding good but their new music is creeping toward the indie sound not the full out mind bending onslaught it used to be.

GTB - ya you might be right about the jamband label but there music used to move me - now it just makes me move away.

Wassabi - since 2001, broke up, got rid of their marimba players and have reformed.

JSB - well they do sound the same but I don't eat nearly as much "e" as I used to (and the jamtronica music, to me, doesn't sound good unless I'm all fired up)

Nero - broke up (with 4 reunion shows)

Anyways, my point with the bands being that, other than the Fatties and Diesel Dog and sometimes BNB, there's not enough good music pulling me out.

pretty sure JSB got a new drummer there too, just for the record.

BradM- taper, musician and now a community unto himself

well done sir

hilarious

I have been many kind folks nightmare for a long time,, friend.....and many sweet dancers dream...

we will always be together... what we know and what we dream.... Ensemble... ;)

Time to put the bong down my friend. All that metaphysical energy is giving your Sahasrara chakra a shakin' and all the crystals and beads in the world won't be able to even you out. My only advice is to pull out the yoga mat, assume the lotus position and stare at this diagram for an hour or two.

Chakra07.gif

PS: ;)

I was thinking about this more on my way home last night. This age old debate is an on-going debate because it is so subjective - a matter of perspective - whehther the scene is thriving or not. Depends on where you're at in life. Just because it's not for me doesn't mean that it isn't in full swing for someone else. I'm sure when it was in full swing for me, it was dying down for someone else - and the cycle will continue.

That said, though I don't go out as much anymore, the friends I've made in the scene have remained so to this day regardless of the music (although that is one of the passions we all share) - and I'm very thankful for that. (and for the music too)

I totally agree with you with what you say about all those bands but there's a lot going on besides them that are a lot of fun. Jackfruit is a good example. The Slip run was amazing.

I do believ that there's a lot of music out there that I'm not aware of. Admittedly I'm not in the loop on a lot of the new music coming out. And seeing as I usually have to travel to see a show (not much coming into Stratford), I want to make sure it's one I like.

I also agree that it's pretty impossible to go out every weekend to party in a bar dancing the night away. We can't stay 21.

ha ha! Don't you wish we could though!! If my body could hold up like it used to I'd probably be out causing havoc and dancing the nights away every weekend.

Boiler Rat - how long are you in Port Elgin? Mud and I are in the process of moving up to Owen Sound - that's not too far me believes.

Boiler Rat - how long are you in Port Elgin? Mud and I are in the process of moving up to Owen Sound - that's not too far me believes.

Hey, that's really good news. (sorry about the hijack folks). Sara's still in Toronto now but it looks like I can stay up here for a couple years. We have a little one on the way so staying up here makes sense. Raising a baby in Toronto doesn't seem to make a lot of sense right now. As a matter of fact, we may end up in Owen Sound also!!

Edited by Guest

Funkybeats and Willy :P those posts made me laugh out loud!

although i'm old and isolated, i can still download. most people i think are on this board becassue they have been 'there'. and being 'there' made them come back for more, and hence wound up in this 'community'. phish took me 'there' consistently. there is a void in my life, as to me there is a void of jambands. For me 'jam' music is an essential catalyst on my road of spirituality. while the source is truly differnt for everyone...eg. nickelback (and im serious) , bluegrass, etc. jambands are lacking.

what jamband can fill an areana and get that vibe of twentythousand people vibrating on the same plane? i am a jamhead, waiting the next jamband. it will come, but for me the time is not now.

(p.s.) the best show i recently saw was matisyahu in montreal.

As I walk into shows and concerts, I notice people comming together and being together. However, as I continue on my path, do I really see a scene and a community? Are we slipping or fading? Can this scene continue? Can this community survive?

discuss.

"...waiting for the time when I can finally say, this has all been wonderful but now I'm on my way..."

Enough is enough.

There is no ‘scene’ unless you count being a stinky wook and doing enough drugs to trick yourself into assuming you have reached some sort of state of enlightenment as a scene.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Just plain wrong. I shower everyday. I haven't taken drugs for a show in a while. I don't seek enlightenment when I go to a bar. I do go to a fair amount of shows, see the same people over and over again at said shows and therefore tend to believe there is a scene going on.

I think what you should really say is "I hate the scene and everybody involved in it."