Jambands.ca

the scene and the community

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that the scene/community that is me is thriving quite well, thank you. I'm seeing great shows, having a ball, and (I hope) giving (back) to enrich the other scenes/communities that are the people with whom I interact.

Aloha,

Brad

I have never felt part of a music community while going to shows in Canada.

That's too bad - many of my good friends I've met in the "community". In my personal view, I thought there was a GREAT Cdn jam community for a few years starting around 2000/2001 - when it seemed like we'd travel to see BNB every weekend. (or the Fatties or GTB or Wassabi or JSB or......)

To me it seemed to start changing a few years back when as the band's we loved started changing their direction, disbanding or taking breaks.

It doesn't feel like the scene has a community like it used to - then again, that view is directly correlated to the fact that I go to a show every 2 or 3 months now instead of every weekend.

when it seemed like we'd travel to see BNB every weekend. (or the Fatties or GTB or Wassabi or JSB or......)

To me it seemed to start changing a few years back when as the band's we loved started changing their direction, disbanding or taking breaks.

I still see quite a bit of travelling folks going to different cities to see shows. Maybe not the in the numbers that it used to be, but it's still happening.

Not really many of those old bands have disbanded either. BnB still kicking, JSB, Fatties etc. Hell, even nero are playing a few dates. Sure there may be some changes of direction taking place, but that is necissary otherwise the music and the "community" will grow stagnant. That being said, I don't even see a whole lot of direction change either. Maybe GTB has gone a bit more "indie" but let's face it, GTB never really fit comfortably into the "jamband" category.JSB has evolved into an electronic/rocker/jam tour de force. Wassabi, still keeping it going with the Island/electronic flavour etc.

Anyway, when I go out to a show, it's always filled with lots of hugs and meeting up with people I call friends.

I think this "community" is vague as hell and seems almost forced on this site from time to time. I don't think it's just a Canadian thing either. Pretty much all the large jam and touring vehicles have come to a halt, aka, the Dead, Phish, SCI etc... And there were never really ones big enough in Canada to merit a huge community. And the word 'jamband' itself is wearing thin. So, I think it's less of a community and becoming more of an overlap of interest and people that share those interests.

Brad, is your community excepting members? I've been dying to be a part of something 'real' since phish broke up and the Biscuits started having children and replacing drummers every year...

Edited by Guest

Brad, is your community excepting members? I've been dying to be a part of something 'real' since phish broke up and the Biscuits started having children and replacing drummers every year...

Did you mean accepting members (and was that a Freudian slip typo)? ;)

No, my little community will remain a community of one*. Feel free to be affected by my community, though: read what I write, listen to the recordings I make, attend shows my band plays, talk to me, etc. Devote your efforts to making your own personal community stronger/bigger; you enjoy yourself, in other words. The only person you can change is you: be the change you want to see in the world.

Aloha,

Brad

* But I do like piano jazz, moonlit walks on the beach, wine, and talking about where to place items of furniture...

and talking about where to place items of furniture...

Do you go with the feng shui community or to the haphazzard placement community? Perhaps, like my wife, you watch endless hours of trading spaces to get your furniture placement ideas?

and talking about where to place items of furniture...

Do you go with the feng shui community or to the haphazzard placement community? Perhaps' date=' like my wife, you watch endless hours of trading spaces to get your furniture placement ideas?[/quote']

None of the above. I'm what I call a "functionalist." Items need to be placed where they will function well. For example, in a living room, I try to place chairs, sofas, tables, etc., such that no matter where anyone is sitting, he or she is able to set a drink (or other water-filled vessel) down.

Aloha,

Brad