Jambands.ca

Must-see Film: SHARKWATER

StoneMtn

This movie is incredible. It is a documentary that teaches us that sharks are actually not a threat to humans, and exposes the mass slaughter of sharks going on worldwide, for the sake of making shark-fin-soup. Approximately 90% of sharks are now gone, and it is entirely because of humans. Sharks had no predators before us, and have existed from before the dinosaurs.

Go see this movie, in theatres right now, and bring everyone you know.

sharkwater.jpg

I have already contacted the shark-saving-group to see what I can do to help with this campaign, and I encourage you to do so as well.

F rude uneducated hunmans !!!

wicked sentence

i'd like to see this. sharks are pretty neat

90% of sharks are gone.. what's the number based on, how far back do the stats go? do they talk about that in the movie or just throw the number out there.

Okay, well that is actually a controversial number. Unfortunately, there has been no real count done and there has never been much interest in saving sharks until now.

The 90% allegedly gone is a number estimated on the basis of the scant evidence available, but is the number used in the movie.

What they can do, however, is make a good estimate of how many sharks are killed by humans at any given time. The movie was 89 minutes, and at the very end they told us that, while we watched the movie, approximately 15,000 sharks were slaughtered. (I think that was the number.)

So, if 90% aren't gone, that is a good guess; and no matter what the real number, this is a bad situation.

(At the very least we need sharks to eat the sea-creatures who eat plankton, which produces more than 75% of the Earth's oxygen. Lose the sharks = more plankton-eaters = less plankton = less oxygen = humans die. Maybe that final consequence, though, wouldn't be such a bad thing; given that we did this to ourselves.)

hmm. interesting. i will check it out if i can.

i wonder how it is possible to kill 15000 sharks in 90 minutes. i guess they will tell me in the movie.

i guess they're only talking about wild sharks then eh?

Yes, and it is done by fishermen laying out "long-lines" of 60 miles or so, with a series of hooks all the way along.

During the movie, they chased away some poachers and took the long-line, and found 107 sharks caught on it. (As well, innumerable other animals and fish get caught there, too, including seals and turtles.) Of the 107 sharks found on the line, all but a few were already dead.

Oh, and [color:purple]it was really nice to watch fishermen cut the tails and fins off of living sharks and then kick them back into the water to sink and suffocate, while they bleed to death. (Sharks can only breathe if they keep moving.)

I should also point out that long-line-fishing is legal in most places in the world; but thankfully not everywhere.

Fla. boy is 3rd weekend shark bite victim

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Volusia County Beach Patrol said a shark had an encounter with a 7-year-old boy Sunday, biting him on his leg.

The boy was playing in shallow waters at the Crawford Beach approach when he was bitten on the back of his calf.

A beach patrol spokesman says the boy was taken to a hospital, but he didn't have life-threatening injuries.

Other incidents over weekend

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- A 9-year-old boy and a 30-year-old surfer were apparently bitten by sharks in separate attacks on nearby barrier island beaches, authorities said.

Their injuries were not considered life-threatening. The attacks happened within an hour of each other Saturday on Hutchinson Island in St. Lucie County on Florida's east coast. Authorities did not release the names of either victim.

The boy was bitten on his right buttock and thigh about 1:20 p.m. at Waveland Park, St. Lucie County Fire District spokeswoman Catherine Whitaker said. He was treated at a local hospital and released.

About an hour later, a surfer on Normandy Beach was bitten on his right ankle, a deep wound serious enough that he was held for observation at a local hospital, Whitaker said.

Last year, Florida maintained its status as the world's shark attack capital with 23 recorded attacks, according to a University of Florida study. None of them were fatal.

Okay, that is the perfect example of why sharks are not a threat.

People are bitten by sharks quite regularly, but only 5 people per year are killed. Given that a shark could swallow a person any time it wanted, this shows that the shark is merely checking to see if the person is food. When the shark realizes that the person is not food, it lets the person go back to shore.

Sharks eat, among other things, injured seals. Healthy seals swim smoothly, with fluid movement. Injured seals swim erratically with flailing movements; much like a swimming human. It is reasonable that a shark would taste a flailing animal in the water, but the fact that this tasting almost never results in eating a human is a real testament to the intelligence and selectivity of sharks.

Okay, that is the perfect example of why sharks are not a threat.

Exactly, I thought the line "Last year, Florida maintained its status as the world's shark attack capital with 23 recorded attacks" illustrated the point quite well.

I bet more people are attacked by phone booths.

Okay' date=' that is the perfect example of why sharks are not a threat.[/quote']

Exactly, I thought the line "Last year, Florida maintained its status as the world's shark attack capital with 23 recorded attacks" illustrated the point quite well.

I bet more people are attacked by phone booths.

Just because you posted these horrific stats we have to kill more sharks now.

the guy who shot this was on The Hour last week

'long lines' catch everything, from starfish to dolphins, lots of sharks in the mix... elephants kill 200 people a year, sharks kill 5... they're one of the oldest creatures still living on the planet

looking forward to seeing the film

saw this movie this afternoon, and all i can say is WOW!

i saw the same segment on the Hour, and had to see this... the storyline it ends up taking and the ordeal this guy goes through is pretty amazing - its absolutely incredible how he handles sharks, and handles himself around them... definitely an informative film.

and visually - holy fucking shit. i wish i took some sort of psychadelic. just brilliant.