Jambands.ca

Philips stays a Senator

AD

Chris Phillips is going to be a stay-at-home defenceman for the Senators.

On the eve of the Senators' NHL playoff series against Pittsburgh, the Sun has learned the Senators defenceman has agreed to a four-year $14-million deal with the club that includes a "no-trade" clause.

Keeping Phillips from going to unrestricted free agency is a big key for the Senators, who had also signed up-and-coming star blueliner Anton Volchenkov to a deal Monday.

"They're still working on it," said Phillips this morning, prior to today's negotiations. "We're into the 11th hour here."

It was paramount for both sides to get a deal done before the playoffs.

I hope that he doesn't get afflicted by the McCabe Syndrome now that he's signed on with a very similar conract.

For the sake of fans everywhere, there should be a 2 or 3 year cap on contracts, IMHO.

Phillips is neither as "offensive" or as offensive-minded as McCabe, so there's nothing to worry about there. Chris is a solid all-round player.

I hope that he doesn't get afflicted by the McCabe Syndrome now that he's signed on with a very similar conract.

For the sake of fans everywhere, there should be a 2 or 3 year cap on contracts, IMHO.

I thought mccabe was making $7 million a season? phillips will be making half that.

LOL ... since it's the start of the playoffs, we're having a "jersey day" in the sales/marketing dept at the CBC today. One dude just walked by with a Leafs jersey with McCabe on the back. I snickered as he passed ... what a waste of money (McCabe and getting that name on the jersey).

I've got a Team Canada jersey on, but have yet to see anyone show up with a Sens one ... there are a number of "fans" here too. Interesting. I get along really well with one of them. Mind you, she's a pretty hot blonde so I can look past some faults :P

William, if you were a "true Sens fan" you'd be offering a wager that they will win this round ... shit, you'd be betting that they will win the Stanley Cup!

Edited by Guest

LOL ... since it's the start of the playoffs, we're having a "jersey day" in the sales/marketing dept at the CBC today. One dude just walked by with a Leafs jersey with McCabe on the back. I snickered as he passed ... what a waste of money (McCabe and getting that name on the jersey).

Best thing I saw all day was a homeless guy wearing a Leafs jersey. It wasn't the only Leafs jersey I saw today either.

Spotted one Penguins jersey and, sad to say, just a handful of Sens jerseys. Ottawa does not have school spirit.