Jambands.ca

Best free HTML editor?

AdamH

I've been Nvu for quite some time, and it's easy to use having been based I think on Mozilla's editor. But it adds alot of wierd code and span style junk that I end up having to fix. It doesn't handle font formatting particularly well either.

Can anyone recommend a similiar frontpage or mozilla-style editor that is better at keeping code clean?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "frontpage" or "mozilla-style" editor. Do you mean a WYSIWYG editor? (WYSIWYG stands for What You See Is What You Get and is an editor that allows you not to know any HTML what so ever.. you use standard text editing type tools like you find in Word and it generates all the code for you behind the scenes)

I almost exclusively use Dreamweaver (is no where near free), is a great help and doesn't add much code, and what it does you have a lot of control over (absolutely HATE programs that add code indiscriminately)... Dreamweaver is deservedly considered best of the bunch

also have used Top Style and found it good to work with... more geared towards designing with style sheets, if you're comfortable with hand coding you might like it... you can check out a trial version, and if you like it its a LOT cheaper than Dreamweaver

when I think "free" I pull out Notepad or another text editor

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "frontpage" or "mozilla-style" editor. Do you mean a WYSIWYG editor? (WYSIWYG stands for What You See Is What You Get and is an editor that allows you not to know any HTML what so ever.. you use standard text editing type tools like you find in Word and it generates all the code for you behind the scenes)

That's what I'm getting at, yes. I have some coding experience but I use something like this to develop email bulletins and a few content pages for our site.

Do they make a good wysiwyg editor that doesn't insert weird code?

I really like homesite myself. But it's not wysiwyg. However it does take care of a lot of the typing, and inserts the more common tags for you. It's really great. It isn't free, but worth trying out. There are ways around the not free part.

Learn HTML...It's easy...you'll be glad you did...Even with a WYSIWYG editor, you're still going to have to get your hands dirty from time to time and actually mess with the code...Then you can use notepad or any other text editor and do it yourself...You're going to find the process of creating web pages extremely frustrating without this basic knowledge...