Jambands.ca

Montreal restaurant recommendations

bradm

I'll be in Montreal from Saturday afternoon through Wednesday morning, and am looking for recommendations for places to have lunch and dinner. Somewhere near St. Laurent from about 2000 - 4000, going a few blocks either side of it would be the area I'm intersted in. Saturday dinner is reserved for Schwartz's, and Sunday dinner I'll be going out with some friends, but the other lunches and dinners are open.

brad, check out cafe santropol if you like sandwiches and atmosphere. st urbain and duluth

I'll mark it on my map. Thanks!

Blane also mentioned Casa del Popolo, but in a chillin'-on-the-back-porch context; I'd assume it's pretty good for meals, but don't know. I'm not interested in high/fancy cuisine, small-scale bistro-style is more my speed.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

In that neighbourhood I recommend Chez Doval for Portuguese grilled goodies (try the fish of the day, it's always a good bet). Get there early (pre-7:30) or be prepared to wait. This is more dinner-oriented.

Cafe Jose (fuck I hope that's the name) at the corner of Hotel de Ville and Duluth is a lunchtime staple. Great seafood soup, empanadas, sandwiches, smoothies, and sweets for really really cheap. Totally iconic montreal style too. Often rediculously hot waitresses.

Casa is fun (see other post). If you want a bit of a more upscale treat (price wise not vibe wise) DEFINATELY try La Sala Rossa. Spanish tapas. If you go there you MUST eat the goat's cheese balls with caramelized onions. This is a perfect stop to pair with a concert upstairs if you can swing it. They've got cheap house wine too. Across the street from Casa.

oh yeah, and if you are feeling like totally bumming it, go to Copacabana (dive bar) and eat some of Jay's yummy indian fusion stuff. It's not top notch, but it's very tasty (the tilapia is great!) and it's like eating in the dominion tavern.

Those are what come to mind immediately.

Thought of one more, but out of your way a bit. ON the 1000 block of Jean Talon (taxi or bus from where you are) is an indian place called Bombay Mahal. For about 6 dollars it has FANTASTIC indian food. Go for the Chaana Samosa the Bhartha (smoked eggplant), or nearly anything else. Bring your own beer.

Oh shit, one more (these keep coming to me). Golden Curry (corner of St. Laurent and Fairmount) has delicious indian for a good price (more expensive than Bombay Mahal though). Smallest restaurant in montreal? Possibly.

I forgot to mention the curry garden (rotis) and the Euro Deli on St. Viateur (more in the 5000 blocks of St. Laurent but who cares) for a lunch of pierogies and borsht. Ask the bouchards. Heavenly.

And brad, don't leave montreal without a night at Dieu du Ciel doing a round of tasters. Their website will tell you which beer they're brewing at the moment. they have tasty nachos.

Edited by Guest

Cafe Jose (fuck I hope that's the name) at the corner of Hotel de Ville and Duluth is a lunchtime staple. Great seafood soup, empanadas, sandwiches, smoothies, and sweets for really really cheap. Totally iconic montreal style too. Often rediculously hot waitresses.

I think it's called Chez José, but i could be wrong. Everything Blane said is dead-on, an excellent recommendation. (I haven't tried everything he suggested, but I've had the empanadas and various sandwiches and breakfast stuff and it was all really good)

I know every time I'm in Montreal I try and eat at Croissant de la Lune. It's on St.Denis near rue University. It's more of a breakfast place and kind of small, but has a really old authentic french feel. They make crepes right there in front of you and the smell is just irresistible. Not overly priced either...

As you know we'll be there this weekend too Brad, maybe we can do dinner at some point. You thinking of going to Tam Tams on Sunday? See you there!

Steph

La Paryse on Ontario St, about a block from St. Denis makes the best burgers in Montreal. Good, cheap, fast.

AD's suggestion of Santropol is great, they have a wicked garden patio in the back with a fountain and lots of trees.

Everything Blane says about food is always true.

Is Mondo Frites a different thing from Frite Alors (which I also want to get to)?

I also think I should drop by one of the St. Viateur bagel places while I'm there; I think the one of Mont Royal east is the closest to my hotel (which is on Avenue du Parc, just North of Sherbrooke).

Aloha,

Brad

brad, you gotta go to the ones on St. Viateur, or to Fairmount bagel on Fairmount. Gotta have the real deal. IT's SUPER easy to get there from Parc. Just take the #80 bus that runs up and down parc every 5 minutes or so. Easiest way to quickly get north-south. Stops 100 meters from the bagel shop. Much easier than going all the way to Mr. Royal.

brad, you gotta go to the ones on St. Viateur, or to Fairmount bagel on Fairmount. Gotta have the real deal. IT's SUPER easy to get there from Parc. Just take the #80 bus that runs up and down parc every 5 minutes or so. Easiest way to quickly get north-south. Stops 100 meters from the bagel shop. Much easier than going all the way to Mr. Royal.

I guess I'm a bit confused. The map for the shop on St. Viateur is here, and the one for the shop on Mont Royal is here It looks like the one on Mont Royal is at Mont Royal and Parc, so couldn't I also take the #80 bus to it, too? (As well, to my legs, the Mont Royal shop isn't that far a walk from the hotel.) The St. Viateur shop looks to be just further up Parc from Mont Royal, and while St. Viateur is the original/real deal, the Mont Royal shop offers sandwiches and things, rather than the two kinds of bagels the St. Viateur shop offers.

Aloha,

Brad

the one on Mt. Royal is much further east than that. there was a problem with your map. It's at the corner of Christophe Colomb, here;

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1127+Mont.+Royal+east,+Montreal,+Quebec,+Canada,+H2V+1X9&ll=45.528300,-73.579200&spn=0.063965,0.078467&hl=en

The map I used (which places the same as your map, at the corner of Parc and Mont Royal) came from the "our shops page at

http://www.stviateurbagel.com/

Where does the numbering for Mont Royal start? (I see where Mont Royal east and Christophe-Colomb meet, and you're right, it's a ways out.)

Aloha,

Brad

i didn't like the borscht but yummy perogies and great atmosphere!

i love the place "toi moi et cafe" blane took me to near his place, i've gone back a few times for breakfast. great coffees as well. hmmm...is the street laurier? something with an L hehehe it's just off of parc.

For the record, I tried Cafe Santropol, Chez Jose, and Mondo Fritz while I was there, and liked them all a lot. I wasn't able to get to St. Viateur, but I did have a really nice lunch on a patio/sidewalk down by the water in Old Montreal...and ran into Greg Hemmings while I was eating! He was in town for some reason or another, and was actually leaving (for Italy) about an hour after we met. That encounter added just the right dose of unanticipated magic to the trip. :)

I also had dinner at Frites Alors and Schwartz's...mmmmmm....smoked meeeeeeaaaaat....

Aloha,

Brad