Jambands.ca

a new feature - add people to a Private Topic

bouche

So, you've got a private topic about a super secret party with a bunch of people and someone says "hey, why don't we invite \/\/illy?". Problem is, \/\/illy isn't part of your private topic.

In the old days (yesterday), you would have to create a NEW private topic and invite everyone including \/\/illy. Now, you can just ADD \/\/illy to the existing private topic!

yay \/\/illy!

Ack - "There are 58 private topics you STARTED that will expire soon. Click here to view them.". Really?

I never understood cleaning up your private topic box .. I keep all my correspondences documented. They are just going to expire? I need to copy/paste them into notepad or something?

Geeky question - do you pick and choose patches against fusionbb and apply them manually, or just upgrade to the most recent version that fits your needs?

I update the site as soon as I can find the time to do so after there is a new version. It takes a while because I've got a few customized styles and template edits that get over-written. I was lucky this time because the main template for the header and footers haven't any new updates so I could keep my customizations. notice that the tabs and breadcrumbs are nested between the side columns? It will take me longer than I want to remember how I customized that. Also, I created the style sheet from scratch and when they add a new style, I have to make sure I match it with something that combines this lovely orange-blue scheme.

I'd really love to hand off the styles and templates to someone who's got some SERIOUS design sense and let them play around. It's confusing considering everything is done through php, but that's a very excellent technology that is free.

I would love to AJAXify things, but that kind of customization would make it really hard to take updates, unless AJAX was built in to the core. I noticed an AJAX folder in this new update, so I have to find out what may have been added that takes advantage.

HOW'S THAT FOR A NERDY RESPONSE AYE?

Ack - "There are 58 private topics you STARTED that will expire soon. Click here to view them.". Really?

I never understood cleaning up your private topic box .. I keep all my correspondences documented. They are just going to expire? I need to copy/paste them into notepad or something?

oh, that's another new option. expire time on PT's.

I thought it was set to infinity, but I think an expiration is a good idea after seeing the size of the database when I backed it up this morning.

I'll go see what I can do.

I would love to AJAXify things, but that kind of customization would make it really hard to take updates, unless AJAX was built in to the core. I noticed an AJAX folder in this new update, so I have to find out what may have been added that takes advantage.

HOW'S THAT FOR A NERDY RESPONSE AYE?

A very satisfyingly geeky response, nothing nerdy about it.

fusionbb really ought to de-couple things such that style changes don't effect functionality upgrades, no?

The site would definitely benefit from some AJAX-ification, but time is time, and I imagine you are short on it. I spend a good portion of my day doing AJAX, and would be happy to contribute something back, but it would mean available time that isn't available, just yet.

Somewhat unrelated, but somewhat related: Back when I was working for your wife, and bored much of the time, I wrote a firefox extension that would show (in your quicklist toolbar) when you had a waiting jambands PM. I wonder if I still have that, or if it was lost with the rest of my M***o files.

[edit to add: It occurs to me that that could be misunderstood. I've never had anything but great things to say about Ms. Hux, and an employee of hers needs to deal with two things, primarily -- someone who hasn't gotten something that they want/need, or someone who is dissatisfied with what they have gotten. Periods of boredom mean that none of that action is going on, which means that she has done her job very, very well. Just so that there isn't any confusion. Ms. Hux rocks.]

I'll go see what I can do.

That would be awesome. :)

Edited by Guest
Because Sharon rules the school

I haven't found any config setting for PM expiration so far.

I"d love to see that firefox extension. I've had MANY ideas for firefox extensions, but I haven't found the time/drive to learn how to do them. I figured out some basic googley code for doing their widget thingies for iGoogle, but I didn't go too deep. I love how you can extend firefox, and also them greasemonkey scripts that can change the way you experience websites.

Send me that extension if you find it, and any links for learning how to make them. Are extensions compiled, or are they just XML/scripts? Extensions like that could come in handy with this site.

Three comments/questions:

1. I like that a person can now be added to a private topic. This will come in handy at times. I certainly don't want Willy to miss any shows or parties!

2. How soon is soon for the expiry of private topics?!? I hope that this can be changed or adjusted. A box to check that lets them last for infinity would be nice. Or should I back up anything that I need? Keep us updated on this one please Mike.

3. Thanks for all that you do!

Peace, Mark

I think that the new feature is great. Just one question though. Will all members of the current topic be notified that a new member is joining the conversation? [color:purple]Just curious, as I wouldn't want to end up saying anthing "nasty" about

\/\/illy without realizing that he may see how I truly feel about him ;)