Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 09-02-03

MarcO

This time of year always conjures up all sorts of memories. The Fall is my favorite season in Ontario, I love the colours that spread out around the Dundas Valley, and I love the crisp air, how it feels and tastes. I love the sound of leaves underneath your feet and the smell of burning leaves, when someone in the neighbourhood burns off their excess rakings. It conjures up memories of shopping for school supplies, thinking about those hot girls you haven't seen all Summer, just knowing they've most likely gotten even hotter and you're going to have to deal with that.

But my question pertains to that odd community gathering of the season: the Fall fair. For me, growing up around Hamilton (Dundas), a trip to the Rockton Fair, or the Ancaster Fair was a staple of the Fall. I haven't been to one of these for a long while and want to make a point of hitting up a couple this year. Gotta see those massive pumpkins, eat some fudge or some candy apples, and smell the dung and hay.

I'd like to hear about your Fall fair experiences and possibly get some suggestions as to which are the best or which are best to avoid. The cheaper, the better too.

Not really a question, I guess, but you get the drift.... Cheers! [Wink]

Not that far from you is a Conservation Area called Balls Falls. It is around the Grimsby area between the QEW and Old Highway 20. It is always the best place to be in the fall. There is a river that runs through a limestone gorge (hence the falls) and plenty of trails run through the area. There is a fall festival of that type there too, but its just perfect on a September afternoon if there aren't many people around.

I have had some serene "John Muir" type moments out there.

Sean

Goin' with your question about best fall experience,although not really a fair experience.

By far the greatest I have ever and probally will ever have.

Would have to be in '98 when I was still with Stacey and we decided that it was time to explore the Yukon.A few weeks of livin' in our tent from Whitehorse to Dawson City(aug 22-sept 18),the colors that we were blessed with,I cannot completely convey in words how amazing it was.The cool fall air and a warm hot spring, soaking, looking at the mountians colored in pink,reds,oranges,browns(beautiful!!),mountian biking along the foot hills of the Takhini mountians,watchin' dall sheep being stalked by wolves while hiking,seeing grizzly bears move along the shores of the Takhini river,experienceing the rapids of Miles canyon( crazy rapids of the Yukon river),exploring the hillsides of north Dawson(across the river) and coming across ruins of steamboats,visiting the village of Moose hide,trying the foods of the locals,at night sleeping under the northern lights(which were just starting to get great,colder means better arora),sitting quietly in the mornings together listen' to the golden eagles call.

By far the greatest thing I have ever done in my life,when fall rolls around I smile and remember things like that and feel warm with the memory of who I shared it with.

As far as fall fairs, I would say check out my old hometown fair,the Binbrook fair,I have been attendin it since I was a little guy(1970-present)Sept 12-14,its also the 150th anniversary.

Thanks for sparking these memories Marc0,you don't know what a perfect thing that is today.

Cheers~

ps.Happy B-day Stace. [big Grin]

beauty avatar, marco.

no fall fair suggestions for you... i'm having a hard time believing it's even here. i walked past a lady raking leaves and i wanted to ask her what she was doing... had to think it through to realise that it is, in fact getting in to that time of year. so i went out and bought a slurpee to take me back to summer days as a kid [Cool]

i'll get into fall soon enough.

quote:

Originally posted by Esau13:

...I would say check out my old hometown fair,the Binbrook fair,I have been attendin it since I was a little guy(1970-present)Sept 12-14,its also the 150th anniversary.

Hey Esau,

I'm originally from Binbrook too. Where did you go to school - Bellmore and Orchard Park? I used to live on Golf Club Road, between Hendershott and Woodburn...

[big Grin]

quote:

Hey Esau,

I'm originally from Binbrook too. Where did you go to school - Bellmore and Orchard Park? I used to live on Golf Club Road, between Hendershott and Woodburn...

[big Grin]

hamilton,

I used to live on Trinity Church between Airport Rd & Whitechurch/Binkbrook Rd.I attended Bellmore until grade two and moved to Hamilton in june of 1977.Played hockey there also(Glasrock minor hockey,Glanbrook Rangers "Jr.C"),although in 1984 I went to a highschool dance with a girl at OP and got shanked in the arm(still have the scar..no bullshit).....good times. [big Grin]

Thats right on, some more Binbrook folk,I know there is one or two more,lurkers I guess,haven't seen her on in awhile.

i like the fall alot. its my favourite season.

quote:

thinking about those hot girls you haven't seen all Summer, just knowing they've most likely gotten even hotter

[big Grin] cheers to that

i went to school today. it feels like i didn't leave, btu a whole shitload of my friends did. the summer feels like a long (very) hazy dream.

i just like the feel of the fall. i listen to hoist alot. they work well together

well unfortunately you just missed the Kinmount Fall Fair, but the Lindsay Exhibition is coming up real soon.

Fair highlights of my past:

1) Kinmount....big boobed chicks mud wrestling in bikinis (some time in the mid `80's....wish they'd bring that event back!!!)

2) Platinum Blonde concert at the Lindsay Ex (again an `80's memory....hell bring the Blondes back too, I won't go but sounds pretty funny) [big Grin]

Archived