Jambands.ca

Gebus FACK!

Schwa.

As much as I am displeased with McGuinty, there's no way i'd toss my vote to Tory. His policies on the public education system, and what he wants to do to it, infuriate me. He had his hand in the events that began the downturn of the public school system back in the last days of the Bill Davis gov't. It was then screwed over yet again by the Harris gov't along with Eaves.

A "dumpy" vote may be in my plans now too ... or at least one that will attempt to keep a local MP out of office.

Does anybody trust, or have faith, in any level of our gov't anymore? I know that i'm a skeptic and go by the policy of "i'll believe it when i see it" with all their shallow promises.

I disagree Schwa.. McGuinty - sucked. Eves - sucked. Harris - not so sucky. The only shame there was his predecessor's inability to carry on the so called revolution.

I'm voting PC this time around.. mainly because our local representative is awesome and very committed to young adults and what we want for the chatham-kent area.

Let's sit back and watch McGuinty flip flop his fuckin creepy head off this campaign.

Are you still upset about the health tax?

but the only real issue for me is the referendum on representative voting.

Generally uncomfortable with referanda, I think it's appropriate where it is about changing the very system by which the decision to change the system is made. (Like those pictures where someone is holding up a picture of themselves, who is holding up a picture of themselves, who is holding up a picture of themselves, who is ...)

I'm totally on-board with MMP, a longtime supporter of Fair Vote Canada, and thank God for the Law Commission of Canada having looked into the issue in depth back in .. what, 2004? .. and having put together a beautiful report, with very clear recommendations, that was instrumental in knocking down the first domino in the bunch.

But Ontario has gone the way of BC and PEI. That is to say, Ontario has decided to require piss-in-the-face-of-democracy super-majorities for any change to happen. This means if you vote status-quo, your vote is worth substantially more than those who vote differently. It is nonsense, it is charlatanism, and it always has the same result.

There has been scant public discussion re: MMP, which is not altogether the fault of those involved in the citizens assembly process. It was available to watch/listen to over the internet, there was no shortage of publication in the non-mainstream sources. But electoral reform, while sexy to me, clearly isn't sexy to many, and it doesn't get talked about where the eyes and ears are. I'll eat my hat if we can break the undemocratic 60% (plus riding dispersal, though I'm more inclined to support that) needed to make a change.

How ironic, too, that the issue is majority governments forming from a minority of votes, yet a super-majority of votes is needed to change the system by which that occurs.