Jambands.ca

Hotmail deleting/loosing emails?

secondtube

My father opened a hotmail account over a year ago to start new job process.

He got one not long after, however, a year and a half later, he's now looking for a new job...

He had some contacts on his email address at hotmail, but went to login today (in the first time in over a year), and his address is still valid, but all his emails are gone....

Is this normal? do they have an automatic deletion policy?

Can he contact anyone to get the emails?

He had some contacts on his email address at hotmail, but went to login today (in the first time in over a year), and his address is still valid, but all his emails are gone....

Is this normal? do they have an automatic deletion policy?

Yeah Steve, with hotmail if you do not log in at least once within 90 days your account becomes "inactive" and you lose all emails/contacts you had. Your email address (xxxxx@) is still saved, but you have to re-activate it again.

Ok, I was a little bit off about the 90 days, its 30 actually, but still if he hadn't signed in for over a year, it doesn't matter.

This is according to hotmail:

If you don't sign in to your Hotmail account for more than 30 days, or within the first 10 days after signing up for a new account, all messages, folders, and contacts are marked for deletion, but the account name is still reserved. If the account stays inactive for a further 90 days, the account name is permanently deleted.

I think that only means it's deleted from the "in use" list, meaning if someone else had tried to sign up with the exact same name they could have gotten it.

I lost "esau AT hotmail" that way. I had it for years, but then got into gmail, forgot about it, then went to re-activate it to use on my xbox live account and found out it was taken.