Jambands.ca

R.I.P. Warren Zevon

Basher

Warren Zevon, Singer-Songwriter, Dies at 56

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 8 — Singer-songwriter Warren Zevon is dead after a battle with cancer. He was 56.

His manager says Zevon died yesterday at his Los Angeles-area home. Zevon was known for songs like “Werewolves of London” and “I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead.”

Zevon announced in September 2002 that he had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and had been given only a few months to live.

I remember when he played on Letterman and did some sort of hockey song. It was great. About some big goon that finally got a goal. Probably a game winner, I forget. Paul was definitely there though - he had the line "Hit somebody!" that he said a bunch of times through the song. It was a fun and good song.

Yep, so long, Warren.

-

From Chart Attack:

Top 10 Reasons why Warren Zevon was cool:

1. After discovering that he had inoperable cancer last year, Zevon got to work on own musical epitaph. His final album, The Wind, was released two weeks ago and featured guest appearances by Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Billy Bob Thornton, Jackson Browne and many others. The album included a particularly haunting version of Bob Dylan’s "Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door" and ended with a moving acoustic ballad called "Keep Me In Your Heart."

2. He was good buddies with Hunter S. Thompson since they both loved to party to the extreme in their youth. Once Zevon got all that out of his system he sought out alcoholism treatment and had been sober for nearly 18 years.

3. When Zevon found out that he had cancer, David Letterman did a special show just for him. Letterman asked him how he was dealing with the fact that he was going to die, he simply said that he "would enjoy every sandwich."

4. How many singers got to use R.E.M. as their backing band? The band and Zevon did a record under the name Hindu Love Gods in which they covered Prince's "Rasberry Beret." They were also his backing band on his 1987 album Sentimental Hygiene.

5. Wrote the nastiest song about the South ever (yes, nastier than "Southern Man") with "Play It All Night Long" (from his Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School record in 1980). Opening Line: "Grandpa's pissed his pants again/He don't give a damn/Brother Billy's got both guns drawn/He ain't been right since Vietnam."

6. Hollywood directors love to steal Zevon titles for their movies. Examples: "Thing To Do In Denver When You’re Dead" and the recent "I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead."

7. He wrote the best song about Elvis Presley and the entrapment of big time fame. "Porcelain Monkey" from Life'll Kill Ya features the chorus "He threw it away for a porcelain monkey/Gave it all up for a figurine/He traded it in for a night in Las Vegas/And his face on velveteen."

8. Zevon was perhaps the only singer-songwriter that got stuck with the burden of one hit tune ("Werewolves Of London") and managed to laugh about it. Zevon appeared on the Larry Sanders show as himself and pleaded with the producer Artie to play anything but "Werewolves." Artie lets him do "The French Inhaler" (from his debut album). However, when he finished, Larry leaned over in true "I don't have a clue" style and asks if Warren would play "that Werewolves In London" song. The look on Zevon's face said it all. Priceless.

9. He was probably the only reason that David Letterman would ever end up singing on a record. Letterman sang back up vocals on Zevon's "Hit Somebody" from his 2001 album My Ride's Here.

10. But best of all, he never took no shit from anyone.

-

quote:

Originally posted by M:

3. When Zevon found out that he had cancer, David Letterman did a special show just for him. Letterman asked him how he was dealing with the fact that he was going to die, he simply said that he "would enjoy every sandwich."

This was incredible. He got the whole hour: sit down interview and then 3 songs. Warren looked like he wouldn't make it another week but he lasted almost a whole year after that. What an inspiration.

Archived