Jambands.ca

Homemade Cereal

bouche

How did you make it? I was at Mark Tonin's place one time (durig the December, 2004 nero run), and they had made homemade granola/muslix.

I've actually started cooking oatmeal for myself a lot of mornings. I use quick oats, and just boil them in a pan on the stove, 1 part oats to 2 parts water; it takes about the same time to cook as the bread does to toast, so it's not making breakfast take any longer.

Aloha,

Brad

Start watching Chef At Home with Michael Smith and you will get inspired.

btw, avoid using quick oats as they are lacking the nutrition that come with mother natures oats. And as far as I have read, quicker oats have a higher glycemic index which can be avoided by... well purchasing old fashioned real-assed oats that haven't been processed.

Quick oats, easy oats, and quick-cooking oats are precooked, so cook up in about three minutes. Nutrients are lost in the manufacturing process.

Instant oats are cooked and dehydrated oats that are reconstituted in hot water. No cooking is needed; however, they are the least nutritious oat option.

Ingredients:

Country Inn Granola

* 4 cups rolled oats

* 1/2 cup wheat bran

* 1/2 cup wheat germ

* 1/2 cup flax meal

* 1/2 cup walnut pieces

* 1/2 cup slivered almonds

* 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

* 1/2 cup sunflower oil

* 1/2 cup honey

* 1 tbsp cinnamon

* 1 cup raisins

Directions:

Country Inn Granola

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Toss the oats, grains, nuts and seeds together in a large bowl.

3. Gently heat the oil, honey and cinnamon together in a small saucepan, whisking well. Pour the hot mixture over the oat mixture. Stir well to coat and then pour onto a baking sheet or two forming a thin even layer.

4. Bake for 10 minutes or so. Stir well and continue to bake, checking every few minutes and stirring until the granola is golden and crispy. Let cool and then stir in raisins.

Ah my cute little bouchey. We (I) did in fact make granola, but that's not the recipe or method I used. It's as follows:

3 cups rolled oats

1 cup slivered almonds

1/2 cup crushed pecans

3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons honey

1/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup diced dried apricots

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color. During the last 15 minutes, add apricots and mix until evenly distributed.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl.