Jambands.ca

Kelona fires at night

Schwa.

So I deleted my first post because it fuelled Phishin's flames (now THAT's analogy). Calling someone an idiot isn't in and of itself a bad thing, in fact I call my friends idiots all the time. Rather than absorbing such a comment directly I'd prefer you refute my argument and tear down my flaky statistics then say "hey, you called me an idiot". This is so often the direction of online debates, whereby loose facts are exchanged a few times, then someone loses it and everybody fights back and namecalls. That's not what I did, I used the word "idiot" to point out quack scientific thought.

A few of you get it. Fire is nature - some trees need fire to reproduce (Pines) - years of successful firefighting has left the forests packed with 'fuel' and hence the giant, monster fire on Okanagan Mountain. It is incredibly rare for these fires to make their way into towns or cities, but Kelowna is (was) surrounded by thick beautiful forest which encroached into the city limits, hence the personal property/insurance disaster. It is nothing to be too sad about, it was going to happen sooner or later. The drought out here is still on - at this rate, Vancouver will be out of water by mid November. Isn't that fucked?

I fell asleep last night, woke up, went to work, and now everyone has a fucking science degree or three. This nature's way bullshit is getting out of hand, I mean we're at the top of the food chain so far so we really should be manipulating everything below us to serve our needs. With a little elbow grease I BELIEVE we can conquer nature. Let's build more fire retardant homes in the middle of forests so the bourgeoisie can enjoy nature while those below the poverty line can enjoy a brick wall. No, fuck that, I changed my mind again. Fire supression is wrong, those ignorant bastards have no right building a home or creating a town so close to nature...they should get what's coming to them for brashly wanting to enjoy the scenery. It goes without saying that West Coasters are more ignorant of what they have than us highly connected and overly opinionated urbanites who are thousands of miles away from it. Oops, nope I'm wrong again. It's the drought's fault so I think we should just leave it all alone, since we're part of fucking nature then we'll either prevail or all go up in a billow of smoke and leave the cack-a-roaches to rule..once again proving that although we're at the top of the food chain through a series of helpful events like asteroids and ice, we ain't the most resilient, we ain't the most resourceful and we sure as hell ain't the smartest.

Oh wait. See, thing is, the source is the thing so just because you quote a newspaper doesn't mean it's true. And don't ever trust the opinions of a displaced Ontarian who, in a cloud of smoke, found themselves in B.C. with a heady stash and no future. Cause this one time I went hiking on the West Coast trail and I SAW the destruction! I saw giant stands of beautiful old growth forest being cut down! I have no idea why but I can only assume it was being done with the worst of intentions! And you wonder why native BC folk despise you.

Armchair politics?

Environmental Lunacy?

Baseless soapbox riding?

Vibe-surrendering, flow-crushing, karma-baddening brew ha-ha?

It IS rare, and it IS sad, but I find it quite frustrating the point being missed here IS it is avoidable. The Forest Service WARNED the wigs of this problem last year and nothing was done. It's not that difficult to understand that the old dead dry fuel could be removed.

The whole bullshit story of 'nature taking it's course', and it's all nature no matter what is a load of manure. People are nature, whatever happens, whether by man or bug or lightning strike is nature, blah, blah, blah.

We're an evolved society because we should see simple things like this staring us the face.

It's exactly like that laughable Survivor episode whan the camp burnt up. What did you THINK was going to happen?

It's also very much like that old joke where the born-again has his foot stuck between two rocks at low tide, refuses help from a man, then a boat, then a 'copter, on the grounds that God will look out for him. Then he finds himself at the Pearly Gates asking God why he forgot about him.

God says, "Well I sent a guy, then a boat, then a helicopter you moron, what do you expect?"

You make it sound like George Bush is behind the forest fires Alf. 7 years working in the forest industry has given me my opinion.

It was not avoidable UC - even if some of the old, dead wood was removed (hardly a small job - no one will pay for it), it wouldn't guarantee a fire-free summer. It is not an exact science.

It is very sad that the forest is gone and that some people lost their belongings, but when you live in a forest, you have to abide by the laws of nature that the forest's live by. Unfortuantely, there is no-one to blame.

Rain, drought, blight and fire are 4 guarantees with just about every forest.

I'm gonna torch the Niagara escarpment to show MY power over nature (well, probably not)... clearcuts are bad, as is eating more animals than you need to (fast food is very wrong)... fire is still natural (went to school for forestry but've never worked in it... my teachers told me I wouldn't last if I had a "green" conscience)

western society acts more like mindless automatons than the top of the food chain I'll concede

yeah, they were warning the wigs for the past decade or so to do something in the Okanagans actually... the warnings have been very loud for the past few years.. god bless beaurocracy

Archived