Jambands.ca

Kelona fires at night

Schwa.

You, my friend, are an idiot.

To build up the diversity that's being lost right now will take 15 to 20 years at the very least. These are very old stands of trees that are burning (and that is PART of the reason they are burning so quickly) and yes, in a few years there'll be grasses, but point to your hip...that's the height of a three year old tree.

Nature's way was also started by a cigarette butt.

My one and only trip out West back in '94 found me in Kelowna for about 6 weeks and I'll always recall how beautiful it was. It's weird to see it featured on TV, seeing a shopping mall I went to, or a hillside that looks exactly like the one I would sit on and drink beer watching the sun go down.

[Frown]

Nice, slightly odd place. I wish them weeks of rain....

old forest doesn't usually burn real well but this has been building up for the past 20 years since the area went up last time

too many small fires were extinguished when they actually should have been allowed to burn themselves out... naturally... contrary to some popular beliefs, forests need fires to thin them out now and again so enormous fires like this don't happen... now there has been a draught in the area for 3 or 4 years and this huge swatch of forest, old and new growth, is set up like an enourmous tinderbox to rage out of control

nothing stops a fire like that except hopefully winter

quote:

Nature's way was also started by a cigarette butt. [/QB]

Lightning started the OMP fire, Alf.

On an island on the lake no less.

It is so dry you could set an entire mountain ablaze simply throwing a pop bottle.

The only measures possible would have been to (months and months ago) clear previously fallen trees and/or conduct controlled burns, but convincing anyone in Fat City to spend bucks on preventitive measures is laughable and impossible. They tried to do so last year. THAT info will come out when the smoke clears.

Literally.

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

You, my friend, are an idiot.

To build up the diversity that's being lost right now will take 15 to 20 years at the very least. These are very old stands of trees that are burning (and that is PART of the reason they are burning so quickly) and yes, in a few years there'll be grasses, but point to your hip...that's the height of a three year old tree.

Nature's way was also started by a cigarette butt.

who you callin an idiot?...and i aint your friend jack!!

The cause of the fires have been attributed to both human and natural sources, although they're worsening because of the weather. The largest of the fires was due to human error:

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/story.asp?id=71E7B28E-9396-48E5-B96D-C0E0A0EED5D2

and from that article:

"Of the 2,218 fires in B.C. since April 1, 796 were caused by people. Of the 820 now burning, 176 were person-caused."

And phishgroove, I called you an idiot becasue you greatly understated the damage that these fires are causing, and I won't except a two-line "nature's way" explanation of fires of this magnitude.

Animals are part of nature.

Humans are Animals.

Therefore Human action is "Nature's" way as well.

It's a serious bummer, but we always underestimate the impact of humanity. Our impact is the impact of a natural force... whether enlightened primate or complex virus. We are eaters. Shit gets eaten. Ahhh... David Suzuki is the man. The only unnatural part that I can see is that we underestimate our shortsightedness and arrogance.

Bummer... [Frown]

I have no problem with you putting in your 2 cents to my opinion. But it shows alot about your lack of tackfullness to call someone an idiot for making a statment that basically is true. Wether is be a true or false statement,,,"idiot" is completely uncalled for. Especially seeing as you dont know me..

If we were in a store and I was standing next to you in line and you called me an idiot for a statement I made, would that be nice? Would it be kind? Would it show that you are full of positive vibrations? would it show that you have no room in your life for bad karma or negative thoughts ?

No it wouldnt, and most of all it probably would get you caught up in a situation called "ass whippin'"

So don't go there, not with me..I'm just tryin to be good cuz...help me with that task..

Thanks

The following are facts:

• Fires and part of the natural cycle of a forest ecosystem
  • Fire suppression has increased the risk of huge fires
  • Many animal and plant species are on the verge of extinction due to fire suppression
  • Controlled burns are lobbied against by logging companies
  • It's terrible when your house burns down with all your possessions

I majored in Biology in university. I was on a field course in Kananaskis AB one summer and we were hiking in a forest where all the pines were dying and the spruces were taking over. The pines need fire to reproduce. Their cones open up in the fires and seeds are released. He was so disturbed that years of fire suppression was killing the pines that he commented:

"Man, would I ever love to light a match".

An extreme comment, but he made his point.

Also, go ahead and ask the (almost) extinct Florida Scrub Jay how much he likes fire suppression. Did I mention they are cute?

damn good point bsherman.....

Totally a natural event that NEEDS to take place...

Ofcourse its a shame that we have to lose hard working peeps shit.

But we must not forget that this is a very complex eco system that we are trying to reside in.

Like I said, a few years it will all definately be green again...

No doubt it'll look different. Some may say not as beautiful, some may say more beautiful. Its all in the eye of the beholder..

By the way, who wants to help me give Alf a wedgie?

Good point indeed...one that phishin unfortunately missed. The point is not that the area will regenerate, it most definitely WILL be green in three years. It's that to regain diversity of this complex ecosystem will not take 3 years, it will take 30, 50 or more. No one is disputing the benefits of fire, hell even having an entire stand of trees dying from disease will present benefit to something in that same system, even if its the microbes that you can't see. So to say that everything LOOKS green and well is missing the point...again.

And I think prescribing wedgies to board members is a poor display of "tackfullness" [smile]

Regardless of Human perspective, everything IS all well. We can't change that. We are nature. Simply put, the prevention and suppression of forest fires kills off species. So does not stopping them. Take your pick. It's life. It changes. Destruction is part of the natural cycle of birth, death and rebirth.

In order to build, one must understand destruction. Biodiversity be damned, Nature Is taking it's course and we're a part of it. It is sheer arrogance to believe that a change we contribute to is outside of nature. That's what allows us to take advantage of the weakness in our Ecosystems. This fucked up relationship with the natural world is the result of Judeo-Christian Capitalist values and the act of exploitation. But it's still ALL Nature.

onelove... because everything is one on this bubble.

i am loving the discussion but i only meant for people to see what is happening to BC in those pictures. Good or bad, i just thought they were cool looking pics. So chill the fuck out everyone. It was a harmless group of pictures and one comment about how it will be green in 3 years [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

The cause of the fires have been attributed to both human and natural sources, although they're worsening because of the weather. The largest of the fires was due to human error:

and from that article:

"Of the 2,218 fires in B.C. since April 1, 796 were caused by people. Of the 820 now burning, 176 were person-caused."

And phishgroove, I called you an idiot becasue you greatly understated the damage that these fires are causing, and I won't except a two-line "nature's way" explanation of fires of this magnitude.

et tu, idiot?

so you believe this Vancouver Sun drivel, these beautifully arranged numbers and statistics, then do you?

you don't think that it's diverting attention away from the actual cause (and effect)?

do you have any idea how many fires are stopped before they get going?

are you actually trying to make one believe these fires are caused by humans throwing cigarettes?

it's condition, not ignition.

it rained yesterday. all day. yet believe me, you could walk up to a tree with a flint and light it on fire.

Archived