Jambands.ca

Who are your real guitar heroes?

The Chameleon

Nick Drake's guitar player fascinates me as well. So does The Pixies Frank Black and Joey Santiago.

i'll second that vote on the pixies guitar players!!

Damn, I meant to say Nick Drake's guitar playing fascinates me. I guess his normal lead player was Richard Thompson, so he fasciates me as well.

Joey Santiago did a stupid feedback / gimmick solo at the Gatineau show a couple years ago that totally turned me off his playing. It was juvenile and bad.

Everyone has off days, but it seemed like something he would do at every show at the end of Vamos.

plus Thom's the guy who wrote and plays Paranoid Android every night. Did I mention he came up with that song out of thin air?

No he didnt. Paranoid Android is about an LA experience. Oh, wait. I get it. Good one. Call me Dooche.

As far as heroes, I am pissed I forgot about this one:

Mark Knopfler

Adam Jones needs some props too. He's the only metal guitarist that mattered in the 90's. Oh yeah AD, screw that analogy of yours. One gig cannot erase an entire career just because it bugged you on one night... or even tour. Hey, I'm AD and I hate Joey because he bugged me last night. He sucks. C'mon Adam!

Oh yeah AD, screw that analogy of yours. One gig cannot erase an entire career just because it bugged you on one night... or even tour. Hey, I'm AD and I hate Joey because he bugged me last night. He sucks. C'mon Adam!

Yes it can. You're snarky today. And who is Adam?

A 'hugely influential' guitar hero has ample opportunity to do something awesome with his craft, instead he takes a 4 minute feedback solo. In my opinion he's just there for the paycheque and doesn't have the fire (on the cash-grab reunion tour) that made the earlier recordings all that good. For all I know Frank Black played all those parts in the studio if this guy can't even spontaneously crank out something remotely interesting in the live setting. And bollocks to Frank and Kim for letting him do that.

[color:purple]Although yes, I should have checked with you to see if my opinion was valid. :)

And a good day to you!

I don't know who Adam is either. I posted that whilst drunk after the Cuff The Duke show. I agree with the cash-grab critique of yours, however, isn't every old band that reunites only in it for the money? Have you compared any old Pixies live stuff with their last tour? I like the old stuff a lot better: the guitars were more anxious and danderous.