Jambands.ca

I Miss the Mixed Tape. Don't You?

Ms.Huxtable

I found this while shopping online......

The Mixtape is a fine art that is threatened by the loss of the medium. Two channel analog magnetic tape is disappearing in favor of MP3 files. A mixtape is a snapshot of your musical and social tastes during the brief period in which you created it. That summer in 1992, maybe your mixtape was full of Stone Temple Pilots, Morrissey, Toad The Wet Sprocket, The Cure, and audio-clips from Blade Runner. You gave that tape to your girlfriend. She dumped you, but not because of that mixtape. That was awesome!

Nobody makes mixtapes anymore. Analog audiotapes just aren't passed around anymore. It's a shame, really. Yes, the medium sucks, but the concept and the thought and the ART needs to find a way to live on.

The USB Mixtape Memory Stick is a digital analogue to the venerable C60 cassette of old. 60 minutes worth of storage or your MP3s, organized into a cohesive whole - something that says who you are at this moment in time. Packaged to look like an old analog audio cassette tape, with room to scrawl out your tracklist, the USB Mixtape Memory Stick makes the perfect gift to your significant other.

You have to provide the music and the liner notes, but that's the art. We only provide the canvas.

The USB Mixtape Memory Stick comes in four distinct styles, each artistically distressed to look like a vintage audio cassette. Stores up to 64 megs of whatever you want, but we recommend Ogg and MP3.

mixtape-USB-memory-stick_5D8FAFBC.jpg

I still have tons of cassettes, and play some fairly often, but I can't say I miss cueing up a dozen or two cassettes (playing/recording in real time) to make one single mix, when I can make 200+ mp3 mix (on one CD) in minutes or even more on the 8GB memory stick I have.

I made a mixed tape for a boyfriend in highschool that was taped over an album. I had a few seconds left at the end and spliced in one lyric from the original album, it faded in with a little guitar...the lyrics "thinking of you" were heard and then it faded out. That took some serious effort but he loved it. He didn't like that album which is why I taped over it, but he thought that one little part that came through was cool. Ah, the good old days!

so what you are saying is that they have found a way to market cheap, readily available technology for more money?

You can use any usb stick to do this, and a 64Mb one is dirt cheap, as you can get a 2 Gb stick for like 20 bucks.

What is wrong with mixed cds? I make them all the time for friends.