Jambands.ca

The Mitchell Report

badams

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger Clemens will be among those named in The Mitchell Report when it is released later today, according to ESPN The Magazine.

A source told ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael that a former New York Yankees' strength trainer told Mitchell's investigators that he supplied Clemens with steroids.

According to the Bergon Record, several Yankees will be named in the report. One industry official told the newspaper that, "It's going to be a rough day in the Bronx."

anyone else get the sense this is just gonna be the official version of what we already know? disappointing, for sure, but i dont think the names will be all that shocking.

the real deal is what happens after this... is the mlb gonna actually do anything, or just leave it up to the fan to taint the player in his/her mind? what about the Hall of Fame? a guy like clemens gets implicated, so what happens to his 7 cy youngs and 350+ wins? his resurgence fits in that post-94 steroid era.

this is funny..

According to the Bergon Record, several Yankees will be named in the report. One industry official told the newspaper that, "It's going to be a rough day in the Bronx."

coincidence that the report comes from a director of the red sox? ;)

what about the Hall of Fame? a guy like clemens gets implicated, so what happens to his 7 cy youngs and 350+ wins? his resurgence fits in that post-94 steroid era.

Even if they can prove it, I dont think its fair to omit anyone from the hall pre Steroid Scandal. If they had any rule in place whatsoever, it would be a different story. (This has nothing to do with my own personal views of the drug BTW.)

I would be completely disifranchised (word?)and surprised if Vladdy or Manny, or Griffey were named. Theres certain guys in the league that I always assumed were doing it on their own, and that they were something incredible to watch. It would be hugely upsetting if they were exposed for cheating, to me anyway.

what about the Hall of Fame? a guy like clemens gets implicated' date=' so what happens to his 7 cy youngs and 350+ wins? his resurgence fits in that post-94 steroid era.

[/quote']

Even if they can prove it, I dont think its fair to omit anyone from the hall pre Steroid Scandal. If they had any rule in place whatsoever, it would be a different story. (This has nothing to do with my own personal views of the drug BTW.)

i tend to agree with that... are you talkin' like 2002, or whenever it was they banned steroids? thats fair, given that there was no rule or anything... i've always been the guy that walked that line on this issue: "no rules, fair game"... but i think there should be some sort of shunning for anyone implicated post-2002...

remember, this is coming from a guy who's favourite ballplayer is Pete Rose, and he's not in the hall for things he did off the field, post-playing career... it would chap my ass to see a guy like clemens get in with inflated numbers, while a guy like pete is left out for something that has nothing to do with his numbers.

as for the element of surprise, i think the biggest ripple for fans might be that steroids arent just for the home run ball, as the writers want you to believe... seriously, how much talk of pitchers has there been? very little....

NEW YORK - Seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens and Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte were the first names to emerge Thursday from the Mitchell report.

ESPN.com reported Brian McNamee, a former trainer for the Yankees and Clemens, told investigators he supplied Clemens and Pettitte with steroids and that information is in the report. The website cited an unidentified source close to the trainer.

what about the Hall of Fame? a guy like clemens gets implicated, so what happens to his 7 cy youngs and 350+ wins? his resurgence fits in that post-94 steroid era.

Good point because he had such a resurgence even though many thought he was finished after his time in Boston. I am sure Clemens still would have been great, but the roids would have allowed his aging body to heal much faster. And after years of stories how Clemens was such a fitness freak, he forgot to mention the steroids. He, he, he, sorry about your luck Roger.

[color:red]Clemens, Miguel Tejada and Pettitte were named in the report, an All-Star roster linked to steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs that put a question mark -- if not an asterisk -- next to some of baseball's biggest moments.

On page 169 of the report, Clemens being injected with an anabolic steroid is detailed.

[color:red]Barry Bonds, already under indictment on charges of lying to a federal grand jury about steroids, also showed up in baseball's most infamous lineup since the Black Sox scandal.

It was uncertain whether the report would result in any penalties or suspensions.

Several stars named in the report could pay the price in Cooperstown, much the way Mark McGwire was kept out of the Hall of Fame this year merely because of steroids suspicion.

"Former commissioner Fay Vincent told me that the problem of performance-enhancing substances may be the most serious challenge that baseball has faced since the 1919 Black Sox scandal,'' Mitchell said in the 409-page report.

"The illegal use of anabolic steroids and similar substances, in Vincent's view, is 'cheating of the worst sort.' He believes that it is imperative for Major League Baseball to 'capture the moral high ground' on the issue and, by words and deeds, make it clear that baseball will not tolerate the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs."

[color:red]Eric Gagne and Paul Lo Duca were among other current players named in the report, both linked to Human Growth Hormone.