Jambands.ca

Poutine

bouche

In a November 1991 CBC report on poutine, Canada's largest broadcaster asked, on-camera, the Quebec premier Robert Bourassa if he liked poutine. He immediately walked away from the podium, "I'm sorry, I have to go, I have a really important meeting." His office refused to answer the question in follow-up calls. The same question to the opposition Parti-Quebecois leader Jacques Pariseau got the exact same response: he refused to answer, either directly on-camera, or in calls to his office.

Usually, to get a politician to refuse to answer a question requires finding a mistress somewhere. There can be no doubt that poutine was considered such a low food, it was embarrassing to be known to like it. But, it was also so common in Quebec, that to deny having even had it would have been laughably unbelievable.

HAhaha, that's great.

• 2 weeks later...
the little convenience store beside the dirty oak at bank and maclaren is either out of business or going through some major renovations. damn. good poutine from there.

i love that place! i think it's called 'bravo'. is it not open now? i'm all out of the loop now that we're not on gilmour anymore. i loved that they had the hot sriracha sauce to add to the poutine.

i also love the russians [sasha's?] little wagon. but i love bravo more. i like trying to remember how to say 'thank you' in vietnamese, but then i'm always too shy to try it out.