Jambands.ca

I'm Not There

bagochips

So I went to the Ottawa premiere of "I"m Not There" at the Bytowne Cinema on Friday night. Everything I had heard said about this movie lead me to believe that it would be pretty good, but I was still a little skeptical going in. I mean, Dylan is not an easy topic to tackle, especially when he is being portrayed by six different actors, among them a small black boy and a woman.

What a fantastic (insert your favorite enthusiastic expletive here) movie! Cate Blanchett is amazing as the young, stressed out Dylan taking it electric. The only possible weak point is Richard Gere'es performance, but to be fair, he doesn't have a whole lot of lines anyway.

Dylan fans go see this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGseissqX8

caught it a week or 2 ago here and quite enjoyed it. A few parts dragged a bit and I found a few tried too hard to recreate specific moments, but overall it was a lot of fun and very cleverly put together. Great soundtrack too.

I LOVE the Antony & the Johnsons cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door that closes the movie.

ps. Lots of the movie was filmed right here in Montreal!

oh yeah, and also interesting was that Calexico was his backing band in that scene! Calexico was one of the 2 "house bands" for the soundtrack. The other was the Million Dollar Bashers, an all-star band of sorts.

Going to Acapaulco was another of my favorite tunes done in the film.

Edited by Guest

i saw this movie tonight at the bytowne and thought it was terrible. i'll grant some decent acting and some neat interpretations here and there, but overall i felt the dialogue was written like a poor mans dylan surrounding a bunch of the big-time everybody knows 'em type of profound dylanisms - the set-ups were ridiculous in their predictability. i was also really turned off by the direct lifts and weak spins (from previous dylan docs) that put this movie together.

never wanted to walk out of a movie more than when i heard julianne moore's joan baez character call him a "raggamuffin" - colour me disappointed.