Jambands.ca

Why We Have Debt

FOWL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there is no need for the government to have to pay back interest on money used for infrastructure. That is ludicrous! That should have come directly from our taxes, not borrowed from private interests! Now we pay back annually the amount initially received over a century of borrowing on compound interest! Seems like a pretty rotten deal to me!

I was reading an article which stated that the governments that had the least amount of debt were those which had the larger annual growth in GDP. Furthermore the article stated that those countries with this growth in GDP had the lowest governmental budget as compared to GDP. Ireland was the country that topped the list in growth in GDP, cutting of government spending equaling LOWEST overall debt v. GDP. I'll try and find the link (it was a couple of weeks past) in the near future. Idea seemed easy enough to understand and not such a stretch to be real enough in terms of economics.

FOWL I was in your camp for a long time but the easy answer seems that we are in debt because we spend more than we make.

Well obviously there are a number of interlocking factors which determine debt, but it can't be denied having currency we have to pay back with interest is completely illogical and ultimately makes no sense.

However, it is totally rational that Ireland has an exploding GDP considering they have one of the lowest income tax rates in the world! Try to get your mind around that, less taxes, less debt, WILD!!!

I know that Ireland has a very low cost labour force, I don't know what the average living condition is in comparison with higher taxed states with lower GDPs and with a higher average wage for workers. High GDP does not necessarily translate into decent living conditions.

I ask this without knowing the answer in advance -- how has low taxation but high GDP panned out for the average Irish citizen?

me too. If our debt were to other nations for real goods and services that would be one thing (I am opposed to that as well, but at least then SOMETHING is gained in return) but to be in debt to private banks for the issuance of currency is just beyond lunacy.

I feel like a troll in having given out misleading information... The article itself does not even talk about debt. Go figure. I think I ended up on the link as I worked through some articles as I was looking into the subject. It however is worth a read if you into the subject of govt. spending. http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/01/nyts_paul_krugman_sees_europe.html I would love a little feedback...

CHEERS

Thanks for posting that article! Interesting!

I agree with it (aside from the mild plug for Giuliani and Thompson, YUCK!!!). It would be interesting to have seen alongside those numbers taxes collected by government as a percentage of GDP, (as it should be, but isn't congruent to government spending.) The sad thing is that the US really isn't the small government low tax nation it was created to be. Their taxation is approaching that of Canada's, it's just the money goes to military and population policing services. Very little goes to social programs that actually benefit anyone (other than corporations of course!). It's also hilarious that Bush who campaigned as a conservative out to slash government did the exact opposite, increasing govt. spending more than Clinton did!

In the US in present day you get the tax and intrusion of big government, and virtually none of the benefits!

i heard on Bubba the Love Sponge this morning that when Clinton took office in 1993, gas was $1.10/gal. when he left 8 years later it was $1.30. thats an 18% increase. now almost 8 years after Bush took over, gas is $3.30. that's a 154% increase.

... some fuel for the discussion ...

I am not sure that the numbers you heard are legit (plus some of the math is wrong)

If the numbers are true, the increase is 253%. (3.30/1.30). But if the price has risen at the rate you suggest, that would mean that in Canada (where it is now ~$1.10/L) it would have been almost a third of that at ~$0.43/L in 1993. Was that really the case? (I don’t know)

And remember that gasoline is super cheap in N. America.

Well part of that is the out of control inflation going on in the US now, (remember, the Canadian dollar, which is also inflating, just at a much slower rate) over the past few years has almost doubled in value compared to the American dollar. So I would assume that is why gas prices have not inflated as heavily in Canada compared to the US.

Well I like Alex Jones personally as an American political commentator www.prisonplanet.com

He's not quite mainstream, but does have a radio show syndicated nationally with many massive guests. His daily show streams constantly out of his www.infowars.com website, worth a listen I think, very hardcore news show.

• 1 month later...
i heard on Bubba the Love Sponge this morning that when Clinton took office in 1993, gas was $1.10/gal. when he left 8 years later it was $1.30. thats an 18% increase. now almost 8 years after Bush took over, gas is $3.30. that's a 154% increase.

And what was the price per gallon when Nancy Pelozzi became speaker of the house? (not a knock against Pelozzi, just a rhetorical way of questioning whether it it is a fair political gauge)

I'm way behind. Is FOWL still with us?

When I got my license in '95 gas was about $0.42 - $0.45 per liter. It was awesome.

Hmmmm, I have a solution. Why don't we use our army to just destroy the private banks and then we don't have to pay them anything?

More seriously, I've always wondered the same thing as fowl's dad, why are countries in debt, all of them? If it's to private companies, why do we allow it. We have a biiiiig country with lots 'o stuff in it, do we really need to borrow from private companies. Then again, I have a fancy laptop, flat screen tv with HD cable pumped into it, and lots of other fancy stuff and I'm considered (have been for the past half decade) below the poverty line...