Jambands.ca

iTunes questions...

SmoothedShredder

I have a couple of questions about iTunes that I couldn't find answers too surfing around online and thought that maybe a few people around here might be able to answer for me...

a) How can I get Itunes to reorganize files on my hard drive according to how I've reorganized them in itunes... I've changed a number of song names, and their genres and I would like the original file names to be changed and organized on my hard drive.

One thing I liked alot about real player is that it could do just that... reorganize the folders based on genre>artist>album>song, and the song file would change to what I have changed the song name to within realplayer

I've used the consolidate library feature, and as far as I can tell it only moves files into the itunes folder from other folders (i.e. downloaded folder on c: drive to Itunes folder on f:, but it doesn't seem to fix the file names or folder structure

and B)

How can I transfer my ID3 tag info from Itunes on one computer to Itunes on another... when I took my backup drive with all my songs from my first computer and took it too my other one, I could import the songs, but I could keep my song ratings or play counts or last played information which I like to use... is there anyway in itunes on can transfer their collection to another computer and keep the Metadata?

Thanks for any help and links you can point me too!

is there anyway in itunes on can transfer their collection to another computer and keep the Metadata?

This has been a nightmare for me. I lost months of concentrated listening, rating, genre altering etc. and lost it all one day due to a computer hiccup (I think I was upgrading itunes or something). I still have all the music, just the info I put into it was gone. I had to reload all the music into the library but after that the ratings were gone.

I now also have 3 copies of almost everything I have in my hard drive. It was like a reverse crash, instead of loosing everything I triplicated everything.

a) How can I get Itunes to reorganize files on my hard drive according to how I've reorganized them in itunes...

Use the 'keep itunes music folder organized' checkbox

B) How can I transfer my ID3 tag info from Itunes on one computer to Itunes on another... when I took my backup drive with all my songs from my first computer and took it too my other one, I could import the songs, but I could keep my song ratings or play counts or last played information which I like to use... is there anyway in itunes on can transfer their collection to another computer and keep the Metadata?

ID3 info (name, artist, year, track, cd title, comments, etc) is contained in the actual file. Play counts, playlists, ratings etc are saved in the itunes library file, which is in the root of where your directory is stored, or where you tell it in the advanced preferences. (*.itl and an xml file)

there is a how-to here but i'm not sure how good it is. seems like it has all the steps though. just make sure you keep the itl and xml files backed up somewhere as they contain the info you want.

Awesome! Thanks buddy! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

I'd check it right now, but I'm just converting some files from avi to mpeg, and it's taking up all my resources... iTunes don't stand no chance of loading through this...

I'll try it out later and report back as to how helpful that link you gave me was.

Peace,

oh... I have a ps3, and it doesn't support avi, but does a nice job playing back mp4's...

I'm using a program called ps3 converter... it works, but it seems to take alot of time and system resources to do it... any better ones anyone can think of?

Kentucky Fried Movie, and Top Secret are on the viewing agenda for tonight!

BoilerRat wrote: "I now also have 3 copies of almost everything I have in my hard drive. It was like a reverse crash, instead of loosing everything I triplicated everything."

i have had this happen to me and it always seemed to happen with files that somehow had m3u files contained in the folder. i ussually am very careful about eliminating them on download as i'm not sure of their purpose. it does happen on occassion to slip through; and when i had a similar 'crash' the only files triplicated were the ones with m3u's still included. not sure if anyone else could explain?

i manage my collection of 72 GB with iTunes and it's been flawless. I let itunes keep things organized, and all my tags are very well maintained.

i don't know if that's a big collection or not, probably not so much. but i have had zero problems.

My collection is a similar size. I can think of one problem right off the top of my head: Sometimes I will add an album to my collection and it will be listed as a compilation, but it isn't a compilation. I'll right-click "Get info" for all the files in the album and un-check Compilation.. But it doesn't WORK. Same holds at times for the other way around: A compilation will not be marked as a compilation, so I have all these artists with their own headings.. So I select them all and "Get Info" and check "Compilations".. but it doesn't WORK. Usually it works, sometimes it doesn't. Annoying.