Jambands.ca

Hawksley Workman

Mango

I'd go. (I'll be seeing him in the 'borough on Sept 29th or so). He's Canada's new age primadonna a la Bowie or Mercury. I saw him play at a club in London England and it was quite a treat. The London crowd was very critical and demanding, hollering at Hawksley between songs, things like "show us something we haven't seen already!!!".. You know, London - they've seen it all, right. But he stood his own and even had some good comebacks and by the end he'd one them over.

YEah he puts on a good show. That said, I don't know about that new album of his... I'm not sold on it.

Has anyone seen him live? My friend raves about him, I saw his preformance on the 'rehearsal hall' show- and i enjoyed it. He reminded me a bit of the rheos and a bit of Neil Diamond, but i'm still not sold on a 20.00 ticket. Also, to further detract from a non-biased decision, He ate dinner at the table next to me and moe.ron last night at the Black Tomato with a hot blonde on one side and copy of Xpress (of which he is on the cover) on the other.

worth admission?

Close call, Mr. Monkey, but yeah, I think you may enjoy the show $20 worth. I'll be there for sure, but you know I'm a big fan. When is the show? It's Barrymore's, right?

Hawksley is way talented - reminds me of Bowie and Freddie Mercury. Great songs that sometimes say pretty good stuff and sometimes go on epic journeys. And a hell of a performer. When I saw him at the art gallery, the church bells started going off across the street and he totally jammed with them. At the bluesfest he grabbed a couple of sticks (were they hockey sticks?) and started doing all this rhythm stuff on the stage - very cool. Saw him at Barrymore's before and remember just that I was completely blown away and ready to watch this guy get really really famous.

Hope to see some of you there.

Great show last night. First show of the tour - great rock and roll, cool weird music, lots of improv and little musical treats. Hawksley's got a lot of talent built up, his voice is undeniable: powerful, variety, resonance like crazy. Good guitar player too, and he even hopped on the drums for a tune and rocked. At one point he kicked the band off the stage except for the piano player, and they did about 20 minutes of composed/improvised stuff together - brilliant. Ended with him singing some xmas carol...can't remember which one. In one song he sang the first verse of Scarborough Fair really slow and high.

My friend had never heard of Hawksley before and he loved it. He kept saying how surprised he was at the variety in the music.

The place was packed, and will be again tonight. Go to the Aloha Room and pick up advance tickets for $15 and have a great time.

If I had to criticise something, I would say that Hawksley overuses that powerful sustaining voice of his, like it's a party trick or something.

Archived