Jambands.ca

Ticketbastard security feature question

Velvet

As I go to Ticketbastard every day trying for Ringo Starr tickets I've noticed a twist on the security feature they have where you type in the swirly-word. The swirly-words used to be almost words, like "almast" or something. Now there's two words, and they're real words, for example, this time I got "Norris" and "editing". Then there is the following explanatory paragraph:

"Digitize Books One Word at a Time

By entering the words in the box, you are also helping to digitize books from the Internet Archive and preserve literature that was written before the computer age."

Now, how the hell does that work?

As I go to Ticketbastard every day trying for Ringo Starr tickets I've noticed a twist on the security feature they have where you type in the swirly-word. The swirly-words used to be almost words, like "almast" or something. Now there's two words, and they're real words, for example, this time I got "Norris" and "editing". Then there is the following explanatory paragraph:

"Digitize Books One Word at a Time

By entering the words in the box, you are also helping to digitize books from the Internet Archive and preserve literature that was written before the computer age."

Now, how the hell does that work?

http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html

Aloha,

Brad

That's pretty damn cool.

Now, how much is TicketBastard earning for providing all of us to type those words? [color:purple]Do ya think they're doing it for free???

first thing i thought of.

we should send ticketfucker a bill for services rendered every time we buy tickets.

But if a computer can't read such a CAPTCHA, how does the system know the correct answer to the puzzle? Here's how: Each new word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is given to a user in conjunction with another word for which the answer is already known. The user is then asked to read both words. If they solve the one for which the answer is known, the system assumes their answer is correct for the new one. The system then gives the new image to a number of other people to determine, with higher confidence, whether the original answer was correct.