Jambands.ca

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai & Yngwie Malmsteen

\/\/illy

House of Blues presents:

G3 '03, Thursday, November 6, 2003, 7:00 p.m., Massey Hall

(Tickets $55.50 and $45.50)

Rock guitar giants Joe Satriani, Steve Vai & Yngwie Malmsteen come together for an explosive evening of music!

Joe Satriani was one of the most influential rock guitarists of the 1980s. He has performed alongside many rock superstars including Alice Cooper and Crowed House. His 1987 album, "Surfing with the Alien", was the first rock instrumental album in years to chart in the Top 30 on Billboard's Top 200 Albums.

Steve Vai was one of the top rock instrumentalists during the '80s and '90s. Throughout his career, he has appeared with many rock legends including Frank Zappa, Alcatrazz, David Lee Roth, Whitesnake and Alice Cooper.

Yngwie Malmsteen the Swedish guitar virtuoso was the originator of the high-speed, technically precise, neo-classical style that developed during the 80s. "Eclipse" emerged in 1990s was a commercial success in Europe, Japan and in the U.S.

Don't miss out on this incredible night of virtuoso guitar fireworks!

ON SALE TO THE PUBLIC: 10 a.m., Friday, September 19, 2003

Please note, a ticket limit may apply.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run away!!!!!!

Pablo and I saw G3 and the only redeeming factor was Michel Cusson from Uzeb. It was amusing to see the looks on Satriani & Vai's faces when the local guy (we saw the show in Montreal) buried them. And Mike Kennealy who played with Vai and effortlessly doubled every line was worth seeing.

it wont get me down, .....i love fast guitar and i dont care who knows it!!!

that Micheal Cusson would have been great, i've got lots of Uzeb footage on tape from the Montreal Jazzfest when it used to be on Bravo everyday, he kicks ass, managed to catch Alain Caron in Calgary a couple of years ago too, that was pretty awesome.

Mike Keneally is worth seeing to, he is like a human harmonizer for Vai.....ever seen Zappas Universe?, where he performs "Brown Shoes dont make it" and "Jazz Discharge Party Hats" I'd like to get some of his solo stuff(Beer for Dolphins) anybody ever heard it?

Impressed?

we didn't even know that it was Fripp or that any music was actually going on until five minutes after he was finished and the MC said "ladies and gentlemen..... Robert Fripp!!"

I don't think anyone else there knew there was anything going on.

It was probably the enviroment... if we had been in a dimly lit soft seater expecting to listen to avant garde electronic compositions we may have been able to get something out of it.

Trust me I do appreciate Robert Fripp [smile]

Confused also...but anyway.....

As for the show,I have seen Joe long ago,was ok I guess.Seen Yngwie open for ACDC in 85 at MLG...awful awful guitar player,at least he was then,he had a keyboard player in his band...think about it,keys covered his many mistakes.Bring your hair spray.

Steve Vai I havent seen,but really have no desire to either.Other than the recording I have of him with Zappa in France,I have really never heard anything that impressed me,except if you count "wow listen how fast that is"(I was 16 or 17) [Roll Eyes] I was rather uneducated in the ways of guitar players aside from Jerry and maybe Hendrix back then.

I just read at work today that Malmsteen has about 15+ pedals which he uses almost constantly.

Wonder how many the others use?

Either way have a good one.

Personally, I think they're all amazing...it's too easy in today's world to dismiss everything because we're so used to it.....

Besides, Hendrix rules, no one can come close...sorry but he has it all ..songs, playing etc.....he is the KING..there's guitar players and then there is Jimi!!!!!!!

N

It's funny that you brought that up B & Z. I just finished saying to a friend of mine that's going to the show that I don't listen to any of these dudes on CD because it's mostly guitar wanking in my opinion. However, it's wanking by the best wankers that there are and I'm going to be close enough to watch Yngwie Malmsteen's fingers move! (Actually, I think the refresh rate of my brain may actually be too slow to pick up his movements) If you really want to drag the Nero conversation into this one, I'll say that I've seen Nero a half dozen times and it didn't do anything for me. I've not seen any of these guys. Ever. I'm open minded and I like trying out new things so I'm going to see some of the best heavy metal guitarists to have ever walked the earth play. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. Time will tell.

Love and peace!

I think my fav Vai is the Crossroads flic...'cuz he's bluesy as hell there instead of a wankfest...not that I mind a good wankfest once in a while!

I listened to the Flexible disc ages ago and almost puked...I'd like to hear again now though......

Vai is killer.....

N

Hey Willy...I'm glad you mentioned Y.Malmsteen...I love his playing although most of his music is crap....his ego-filled comments are most welcomed too, cuz he's so funny...(like claiming he didn't cop anything from Jimi or Blackmore)

I heard violin concertos and caprices years ago and thought if anyone ever put those on the ax, it would be amazing...but impossible 'til I heard YM....he's really pulled it together.....I love Blackmore second to Hendrix in Strat-wailin' so I have to love YM by default....

Again it's to easy to just dismiss someone instead of giving it a good listen...

Fripp? He's tops in my books, esp. FRippertronics!

More in a minute.....N

nero is next.......N

Flex-able is great, very Zappaesque.....songs about aliens and munchkins...love it

His next album i like best though "Passion and Warfare"...more of a concept album, ....great sound quality(seven string guitar-so thick and bassy)....

after that i got bored of shred, but i still like those albums.

as well as "surfin with the alien" and "Flyin in a Blue Dream" by Satriani

Steve Vai, is one of if not second best to Lenny Breau when it comes to technical playing. Zappa himself said Steve Vai is his "stunt guitarist." HAving said that, Steve Vai should NEVER EVER EVER be allowed to write music he is just not a composer or a very good improviser unless Zappa is standing to feet away telling him what to do. And as great as Hendriz was Zappa was much better!

Pablo,

I could give it a listen I guess but I can't see me liking it anymore then I already do,I was just saying that I hadn't seen him live,but I did hear alot of his tunes,liked some back when I was a teenager,but not much longer than that.I do have the leftovers album I think..I'll check.Yep got it.I also have some nice video of Vai & zappa,I think its from Zappa's "Video from hell".

B&Z

Your right it's to easy to just dismiss someone instead of giving it a good listen.

I did a check through my vinyl & cassette collection and found these :

Joe Satriani:

The Extremist

Surfing With The Alien

The Beautiful Guitar

Yngwie Malmsteen:

Fire And Ice

Eclipse

Rising Force

Trial By Fire

Steve Vai:

Flex-Able Leftovers

The Crossroads soundtrack

Sex & Religion

Fire Garden

I have gave them a good listen,and I dismissed most of it.

I hung out with many teased hair heavy metal guitar players in high school so I got a large exposure to this music,not my sorta music,I even bought the albums and cassettes.I was a blues/folky deadhead in high school,well except in 84 when I started high school I was more into punk until I saw the Grateful Dead at Canada's Wonderland..never looked back since.

But its all a matter of taste.

All good.

nero nero nero....I've only seen them once, March29 at the Dekcuf(BradM I need that one!)

I thought they were great, the grooves were infectious....a general rule from that night was that groove rules over technique everytime...

Now personally I don't like rock rhythm sections in guitar trios....I like jazz (and I don't mean that funk fusion type-(although it's got a place)

I mean...(bebop-free jazz) playing, think of Mitch Mitchell with Jimi--I hate pounders..that's the sound I crave, funny that's also why I never dug Satriani..it was that childish Van-Halenesque

caveman vibe that really blows it for me...play some serious music dude.....he's a great player regardless...

I'd like to hear more jazz stuff in nero...again think of M Cussion from UZEB w/o the cheese...

Overall I really dug the way Dave has integrated

all the techno and electronica into a power-trio, doing a lot of them manually plus w/effects too...which by the way don't play themselves so lets hope that stupid myth dies someday...it's up to the player...in B&Z we use a lot of effects but maintain an earthy "organic" feel(jazz influence) while still knob-dialing all the way...

it works!

It really gets down to your mode of expression...

N B&Z

quote:

Originally posted by inca roads:

Steve Vai, is one of if not second best to Lenny Breau when it comes to technical playing.

Maybe, but who cares? "Technical playing" doesn't impress me - "passionate playing" does, which is why I'd rather hear a one-note guitar solo from Neil Yong than a brilliant technical solo from Vai, or Hackett, or anyone else. Lenny Breau, at least, had the right combination of technique and emotion.

quote:

And as great as Hendriz was Zappa was much better!

I agree with this one, though. I'm not a "Hendrix-basher"; I do like him - I just kind of think that he's over-rated. I've listened to a lot of Hendrix, and while he's obvioulsy very good, I don't understand the "greatest guitarist ever' label.

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

I agree with this one, though. I'm not a "Hendrix-basher"; I
do
like him - I just kind of think that he's over-rated. I've listened to a lot of Hendrix, and while he's obvioulsy very good, I don't understand the "greatest guitarist ever' label.

Innovation, versatility, feel, plus he was WAY ahead of the field when he first arrived ... and this was a field that included Clapton, Townsend and Beck.

RnB

Want technical? Want speed? Want emotion? Try throwing on Al Di Meola & Paco DeLucia playing Mediteranean Sundance. Listen to Al play. He absolutely shreds and it stirs you emotionally as well. Definitely one of the best. Or, how about Steve Morse with Dixie Dregs? Throw on The Bash and listen to the guitar and violin trade of solos before trading bars off as part of the same solo. Wow.

Archived