Jambands.ca

quitting smoking

KarinGarage

[quote name=bouche

As a smoker' date=' if you observer your own behaviours honestly, you'll see how ridiculous the smoke controls your life. How many times have you as a smoker made your ride go out of their way so you could find an open gas station or corner store to get you a pack of smokes?

I've definitely made myself late to work many times because I was outta smokes

I smoked for 12 years and have been smoke free for about 6 years.

There are two things that I attribute to helping me quit smoking.

First, I bought a gym membership the week I stopped smoking and I hit the treadmill. That week, I got dizzy after 2 minutes of light running. The next week without smoking, I did a slow, 4 minute run. As the weeks went by my lung capasity grew and grew. It was PHYSICAL EVIDENCE that I was doing the right thing and that smoking was killing me. Now, I run almost every day hitting speeds up to 10 miles an hour and sweating bullets. There's no damn way I could acheive that if I smoked.

Second, I brainwashed myself. My mantra became "smoking is discusting". I then aligned everything to that mantra.

- Smoke smells disgusting

-Look at that woman smoking in her car first thing in the morning. That's disgusting.

- I can't believe how many breaks he's taking. That's so disgusting.

- Can you believe smokes are $7 a pack? That's down right disgusting.

- and on and on and on.

It really wasn't long before I truly believed how disgusting they were and I just couldn't imagine ever having another.

I wish anyone who's trying to quit the very best of luck. It's a great, empowering decision and a huge accomplishment.

As a smoker, if you observer your own behaviours honestly, you'll see how ridiculous the smoke controls your life. How many times have you as a smoker made your ride go out of their way so you could find an open gas station or corner store to get you a pack of smokes?

That's just bad planning.

Second, I brainwashed myself. My mantra became "smoking is discusting". I then aligned everything to that mantra.

- Smoke smells disgusting

-Look at that woman smoking in her car first thing in the morning. That's disgusting.

- I can't believe how many breaks he's taking. That's so disgusting.

- Can you believe smokes are $7 a pack? That's down right disgusting.

- and on and on and on.

It really wasn't long before I truly believed how disgusting they were and I just couldn't imagine ever having another.

Me too. I saw this (supposedly) hypnotizing video on youtube that repeated the mantra :

The next time you see someone smoking you will automatically think,

SMOKE

CHOKE

DEATH

DISEASE

It worked because it's true!

As a smoker' date=' if you observer your own behaviours honestly, you'll see how ridiculous the smoke controls your life. How many times have you as a smoker made your ride go out of their way so you could find an open gas station or corner store to get you a pack of smokes?[/quote']

That's just bad planning.

yeah, like get a carton already and stop wasting gas for every damn pack.

• 1 month later...

I have been smoke free for 4 months now and not to dismiss the validity of this article but...I must comment that the claim stated at the top saying "Most smokers try to quit unaided, resulting in a high failure rate" is bullshit. There is only one way to quit and that is unaided. Nicorette and patches are still nicotine, don't be suckered in by that myth smokers. 72 hours of non smoking and it's all down hill from there.