Jambands.ca

May 10 Eccodek and DJ Medicineman Collingwood

allison

eccodek-poster-v2.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/eccodek

http://www.myspace.com/medicinemanradio

Visionary...otherworldly...primitive and progressive..global dub...downtempo fusion.

The sensual beauty of Eccodek's lush sonicscaping of world music,dub electronica driven by a genius sound architect.

"....bone rattling bass, spaced out production, hypnotising grooves and soaring exotic melodies are all here, taking on a fierce power when presented live by the six piece groove juggernaut."

Cut to DJ medicineman...the sibilant voice caressing the airwaves, a sound shaman spinning your ears and soul.

Arguably Canada's best world fusion radio air keeper as host of NO MAN's LAND at CIUT.

Three sets by DJ medicineman.

Two by Eccodek.

One unforgettable journey through world's of sound.

$15

Doors at 9pm

About Eccodek

Rising from the underground of Toronto’s multicultural music melting pot, Eccodek’s visionary blend of downtempo grooves, tribal electronica and world dub is quickly capturing the attention of the international music scene, moving Global Rhythm to declare that, “ECCODEK reveals the face of global music.†Andrew McPherson – the mastermind behind the ECCODEK sound – collaborated for several years with musicians from around the world before the 2004 Canadian indie release of his much-anticipated debut recording, More Africa In Us. This deeply hypnotic, afro-dub groovefest created an immediate stir locally, with Errol Nazareth of Toronto’s eye Weekly boldly describing it as “one of the most outstanding contemporary dub albums"."

Canadian producer Andrew McPherson returns to the global music arena with the follow up to 2004’s widely acclaimed More Africa in Us. ECCODEK’S Voices have eyes continues to explore the crossroads where global groove, dub and electronica meet.

No stranger to collaboration, Andrew has worked with a host of Canadian and international talent. Canada’s Natalie MacMaster, Jane Siberry, Philosopher Kings, Ireland’s Andy White, Seattle’s Pigeonhed and Iceland’s gusgus have all benefited from his distinctive textural production approach. In 2006 Andrew signed a North American deal with White Swan World/Rykodisc, recently rubbed shoulders with artists Karsh Kale, Antibalas, Nitin Sawhney and Bombay Dub Orchestra when invited to contribute to National Geographic’s GeoRemix project and has just completed a remix available for download of ‘Wosoubour’ by Vieux Farka Touré, son of the late two-time Grammy winner, Ali Farka Touré. It would seem the Eccodek bushfire is starting to catch.

"Hypnotic and near otherworldly offering of tribal beats and sensual grooves."

– San Francisco Bay Times

"McPherson's dub smarts...grooves are immense."

– Now Magazine

"An ethereal, atmospheric, global soundtrack."

– Toronto Star

About DJ Medicineman

Following an extended teaching journey in Europe, Richard Martin aka medicineman staked his tent in the studio of CIUT radio in the heart of downtown Toronto. For the past 8 years, I’ve hosted NO MAN’S LAND and have earned a reputation among a loyal audience for unique, groove-driven explorations into the evolution of world music & global electronica

From Indo-Arabic dub to Afro-Latin funk, sets flow seamlessly from soothing ancient rhythms and textures through rippling primitive & progressive beats, always challenging cultural boundaries and musical traditions. This style of genre-bending mixology continues to win fans over the airwaves and on dancefloors. NO MAN’S LAND is considered by many to be the top world fusion radio show in Canada

Working closely with a number of clubs and promoters on local and international concerts & parties and through consistent work as an educator, radio producer and DJ, I strive to be instrumental in pushing the world music scene forward, and in exposing the international airwaves to the best emerging & established artists in the scene. That was a serious run-on sentence folks. Nevertheless, the recipe is to diligently seek out the finest independent grooves, hook into the leading music labels and spread a weekly healing dose to the masses. Music is indeed our medicine

Oh..almost forgot...

c-towns..I owe you one for the fuck up at the eye(i) show.If you want to come to this just let me know and I'll put you on the REAL guest list.

And..

afropoppa I'm pretty sure this is around the time you should have started your habitation of Collingwood..consider yourself on the guest list too as a welcome wagon gesture!

And..

afropoppa I'm pretty sure this is around the time you should have started your habitation of Collingwood..consider yourself on the guest list too as a welcome wagon gesture!

Awsome! Yup I move up for good probably around May 1-2...if I am not working that evening I'll be at the show :)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm intrigued. How far is Collingwood from Huntsville? I like dancing to dance music; call me crazy...

Collingwood is shorter by about half an hour or more than going to Toronto but sideways across country not long wise.(Did that make any sense!)

You are welcome to camp in my backyard should you make the trek.

Looking forward to seeing you afropoppa!!