Jambands.ca

Another Transit Strike in Toronto

Jaimoe

I think im goin to hit up the Elmo tonight for Chameleon project, and in June Ive got tickets for Dave and your right June and July are lookin pretty tasty, I think im goin to head home for the end of July to hit up Evolve and then spend a week or so back home to lay back on the beach all day and night!

Toronto is one of the only major cities in the world that doesn't have some form of government funding for transit. No wonder the TTC is always running a deficit and why this deficit is such a big deal.

Edit: And compared to other major world cities, the cost of taking transit in Toronto is fairly cheap.

I have no idea how much TTC workers get paid, or what the contract issues are, but driving/transporting people in Toronto would be a stressful job and it would take a lot of energy to do it day in and day out. I just think of the grief I've had driving around in that city when I've visited ...

Peace, Mark

I know I've been a little negative towards this impending strike (given that I started this thread), but the TTC employees put up with a tonne of verbal and physical abuse. A recent survey in the Toronto Star listed that a staggering percentage of TTC drivers and booth operators are abused on a daily basis. If they do strike, I'm sure this abuse will only increase.

Im deffinatly with yea on that Jaimoe, No one seems to respect the drivers and they do get alot of abuse. And on a completly discusting note On I was taking the Queen Street Trolly home and I was sitting a couple seats up from the back of the trolly and there were these punk/goth kids that were being rather loud and rude, thinking there cool no doubt, but anyways one of these girls is comepletley drunk and stubles passed me with no shoes on, I thought nothing of it. Then I start hearing something like Water pouring and im like what the fuck is it that so I turn around to try to locate this sound, this this girl has her pants around her knee's pissing in the back of the trolly, I was discussed, I couldnt belive someone would do that, Luckally long branch loop was the next stop so I got off and jumped in a cab, But I couldnt imagain what I would do if I was a trolly driver and had people pissing in the back of my trolly

1) Transit Employees who make $70000-$100000/year, are generally working 16 hour days. The base salary for a TTC driver is about $54000/year. (a little more than OC here)

2) Main sticking points in most Transit contracts are benefits (sick days,dental,health,vacation,overtime allowance). Cash is usually one of the last items on the agenda. (My last contract we got a 3% raise a year over 3 years, not too much different than the normal inflation rate that most workers anywhere get.)

The biggest issue on our last contract was sick days and contracting work to outside companies. We here in Ottawa get 6 days a year, which is WAY below average compared to other transit companies, considering we spend most of our day inside a filthy incubator. (We used to have 12 sick days a year, but it obviously got cut in half, it's really a joke, and if anyone wants to discuss it with me, I'll entertain the idea.)

As a member of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 279, I wish my brothers the best of luck. Just offer them a fair deal, and the buses keet running.

We got the shaft 3 years ago, and negotiations between our union and the City of Ottawa, apparently have not gone well this year either.

In the end...make sure you thank your bus driver.

I seen a trolly on the go today, does that mean there back running? If so is it back to full service or somekinda work to rule?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/04/27/ttc-strikesun.html

The strike that shut down most public transit in Canada's biggest city for just over 36 hours has been brought to an end by the Ontario legislature.

An emergency session of the legislature Sunday afternoon resulted in quick passing of back-to-work legislation, ending the strike that made getting around Toronto a headache for most of the weekend.

Nearly 9,000 bus, subway and streetcar drivers, maintenance workers and other staff are expected back on the job by Sunday evening.

Aloha,

Brad