Jambands.ca

Another Transit Strike in Toronto

Jaimoe

I was gonna say, has it been 6 months already?

Previous TTC Strikes And Lengths

1952: 19 days

1970: 12 days

1974: 23 days, the longest in the system's history

1978: 8 days

1989: Workers stage a slowdown that, while not a strike, severely impinges on service. Strategy includes following every rule to the letter and subways crawling in and out of stations with agonizing slowness. It does little to endear the union to passengers, who take a hostile attitude towards their actions. It lasts 41 days.

1991: 8 days

April 1999: 2 days

May 29, 2006: One-day wildcat walkout ends with buses running by the afternoon rush hour, but the subway staying shut for the rest of the day.

I was gonna say' date=' has it been 6 months already?[/quote']

Previous TTC Strikes And Lengths

1952: 19 days

1970: 12 days

1974: 23 days, the longest in the system's history

1978: 8 days

1989: Workers stage a slowdown that, while not a strike, severely impinges on service. Strategy includes following every rule to the letter and subways crawling in and out of stations with agonizing slowness. It does little to endear the union to passengers, who take a hostile attitude towards their actions. It lasts 41 days.

1991: 8 days

April 1999: 2 days

May 29, 2006: One-day wildcat walkout ends with buses running by the afternoon rush hour, but the subway staying shut for the rest of the day.

Time flies when your having fun, I guess.

Did anyone read the article in the sun that listed the salaries of a bunch of TTC employees? I didn't myself but heard that bus drivers are making like $70,000 or more per year, and in one case a person selling tokens made over $100,000 in a year.

If that is correct then I can't believe they have the balls to go on strike and demand more money. No wonder it costs so much to use public transit in Toronto.

Did anyone read the article in the sun that listed the salaries of a bunch of TTC employees? I didn't myself but heard that bus drivers are making like $70,000 or more per year, and in one case a person selling tokens made over $100,000 in a year.

If that is correct then I can't believe they have the balls to go on strike and demand more money. No wonder it costs so much to use public transit in Toronto.

I believe the "token taker" salary was not his "base salary". This was a person who never took a holiday AND worked TONS of overtime. A huge percentage of that 100K was in OT wages.

I too don't believe it was salary. The salary part of the equation was someting like a 2% raise which over the timeframe of the agreement (past or future) wasn't even cost of living.

It had more to do with safety and injury pay. I think they want 100% pay when hurt on the job as opposed to 80%.

For what its worth, I think that TTC workers make less than Mississauga and Brampton etc. and also receive less benefits.

They may be paid decent - but for the number of lives that rest on their shoulders they should be. Its also getting more dangerous for them. Its not an easy job if you ask me.

IMHO, if it becomes an essential service, it had better well be funded by the gov't as such. I grew up in Toronto with no car and survived perfectly fine using the TTC. It was great. It's definitely been going down the shitter for years now. I'm not on it much at all anymore, but the last few times I did it was nowhere near what it used to be (cleanliness, service, etc.)

I heard the whole thing about how the government if proposed with the idea of makling the TTC a ecentiall service I think it should deffinatly be classed as such

I am, too, provided it imposes equally on employees and management. The strike is happening because the two entities that share the responsibility of keeping the system running disagree on things. Forcing the employees back to work, while keeping them to the deal they had, is unfair, to my thinking. If the back-to-work legislation had a provision that said the union would get benefits according to the average of the last proposal put forth from each side (that holds for quantitative items; for qualitative things, I think a similar method could work), then I'd be cool with it (with the averages holding until a contract was agreed upon).

Aloha,

Brad

Yea I agree with yea there Kev, But it will suck if they do go on, no serivce strike, I will have a bitch of a time getting from site to site, What I was trying to get at was that if they had became a essential service they wouldnt be allowed to have a 100% walk out but be put on work to rule or limited service status

I wouldnt mind seeing what they are fighting for, cause it could be a very valad reasons, I know what they can be like being a Union Boy myself ( Local 2 BACU!) but it does put alot of hurt on the city if they arnt working I wouldnt mind if they striked but aslong as there was a very limited service still avaliable, Not to mention is goin to be crammed on the raods if they do strike it usually busy enough for people driving to work but I heard they are expecting atleast a 20% increase of vehicles on the road if they do go on strike