Jambands.ca

See this film: Anvil! The Story of Anvil

Jaimoe

[blurb]

ANVIL! THE STORY OF ANVIL

group.jpg

Written speed-metal fast by David Ball

I went to the Hot Docs Festival yesterday in Toronto for the second screening of the documentary, Anvil! The Story of Anvil . Wow, what a fucking movie (and swearing is appropriate). This film wowed audiences at this year's Sundance Film Festival and I can certainly see why. For the uninitiated, Anvil remain a Toronto band almost 30 years after they were a big part of the wave of metal's rebirth in the early 80's (anyone remember their most influential album Metal on Metal from 1982 and the minor hit it spawned of the same name?), however they are the only band of the "Big Four" that never made it: Anvil, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth. [/blurb]

The film follows the two remaining members, leader/guitarist Steve Lips Kudlow and drummer Robb Reiner, as they work their day jobs all-the-while still trying to get their big breakthrough while playing small gigs here and there. We see Kudlow and Reiner go through some sad and funny trials and tribulations on a low-budget 2005 European tour where they play tiny clubs, dance halls and festivals, sometimes with only 5 or 100 people in attendance. The movie is a real roller-coaster ride of emotions, but we want them to make it because they are still plugging away in their 50's while firmly believing in themselves and their music (and newer bands are ripping-off their sound and making millions). Lips is a real likable guy and an eternal optimist... or eternal dreamer, depending on how you choose to look at him. He sold me on Anvil getting "screwed by record companies and management" and I'm almost convinced that they will indeed make it big.

The film is beautifully shot and edited, and was directed skilfully by Sacha Gervasi (who wrote the Steven Spielberg movie, The Terminal). There's some great use of clips and interviews from their early 80's heyday - J.D. Roberts never looked so good - along with recent testimonials from peers like Lars Ulrich, Slash, Anthrax's Scott Ian, Lemmy and members of Slayer. This is one of the best rock & roll documentaries I've seen in quite some time.

The director was asked after the film in the question and answer segment if the movie will get theatical release. He responded with an affirmative. So, check your local listings in the not-to-distant future for this film. (****1/2 out of 5)

April 19/08

I never saw that video, or at least I don't think I have.

Lips and Reiner spoke after the screening, well Lips did all the talking, along with the director, editors and cinematorgrapher. Lips is an awesome dude, but intense and overly enthusiastic... but he's got an infectious personality that's for sure. The film was screened at the Elizabeth Bader Theatre near the ROM and its been beautifully renovated so that the acoustics and audio are freaking lively. The decibel-level yesterday felt like appropriately like Anvil concert. It gave me a headache. Rock and Roll!! Oh yeah, Anvil played the Bovine Sex Club last night, so they are still looking for their big break, although I think this film may be their real meal-ticket.