Jambands.ca

salad dressing recipes

snarfmaster C

i'm sick of paying $4-5 for a bottle of oil and vinegar so i've started topping my salads with some balsamic and this basil-infused olive oil. kinda plain, but it'll do for now. i've got a call out to my sis for her recipes (apparently she makes some good ones) but i thought i'd ask here...

share the hits, folks!

(i'm especially interested in dairy- and egg-free ones, but it's not *all* about me...)

the 2 i most often make are a shallot vinaigrette and and asian one.

for the shallot one, i mince up a shallot and then put into a bowl and add 2 Tbsp vinegar and a little salt, and let that sit for about 10-15 minutes. then add 1 tsp dijon mustard and slowly whisk in about 6 Tbsp olive oil. add s+p to taste.

i can't remember the amounts offhand for the asian one but it has minced garlic and ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sake or mirin (or both), a little sesame oil, and olive oil. usually you want the vinegar:oil ratio to be about 1:3 or at least 1:2.

i always toss the salad with the dressing before eating/serving it.

here's a great ratio (tipped from chef Michael Smith) if you have berries and things on hand.

1 part oil

3 parts everything else

If I want a batch for a couple of nights of salads, I'll take 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp blueberries, 2 tbsp balsamic, 2 tbsp honey and throw it in the food processor or blender. This will give you a deliciously sweet and fruity emulsion for your salad veggies.

Try different berries, oils, vinegars, or even toss in a mustard instead of the berries. Make sure you drop in a pinch of salt, mix and taste until you got it just right.

That is my favourite dressing.

funny your guys' ratio is the total opposite as mine. i would find that crazy vinagery.

it makes a very different dressing indeed. the other way around is 3 part oil to 1 part vinegar plus herbs and garlic and salt and pepper.

the ratio I posted can be nice and sweet and it is less oily which many people prefer for diets. I ONLY make that type of dressing if berries or pomegranate juice (yes that makes a great dressing) are involved.

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of sage flavoured oil and it is delicious with some balsamic.

Plus, sheebs makes this ceasar dressing i love with tons of garlic, some mustard, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, lemon juice (fresh or otherwise) worstershire(you know what i mean) a pinch of sugar, and an egg yolk (no white). topped with parma and fresh ground pepper. She won't tell me the proportion ("it's a secret") but man, is it awesome!

Edited by Guest

the ratio I posted can be nice and sweet and it is less oily which many people prefer for diets. I ONLY make that type of dressing if berries or pomegranate juice (yes that makes a great dressing) are involved.

that makes sense. sounds summery. i'll give it a whirl once i get some berries :)

Katie's on weight watchers so we've been making this one..it fits your dairy/vegan criteria, and it's very different-tasting:

2 heads of roasted garlic

1 cup apple juice

3 tbsp apple cider vinegar

3 tbsp oil.

salt

pepper

Put it all in a blender or in a food processor.

It's very thick because of the garlic. It's also extremely garlicky. Come to think of it I'm not that fond of this dressing but you might be..and as I said no animals were harmed in its production.

Katie's on weight watchers so we've been making this one..it fits your dairy/vegan criteria, and it's very different-tasting:

2 heads of roasted garlic

1 cup apple juice

3 tbsp apple cider vinegar

3 tbsp oil.

salt

pepper

Put it all in a blender or in a food processor.

It's very thick because of the garlic. It's also extremely garlicky. Come to think of it I'm not that fond of this dressing but you might be..and as I said no animals were harmed in its production.

sounds delicious. that clocks in at 13 WW points for the batch. how many servings are you getting out of that?

Ah...another ww person!

I think it made about 6 servings. Our batch was very thick so we added a bit of water to give it a more normal consistency.

It's not my top dressing by any means but by WW standards it's pretty good and the garlic ives it lots of flavour. There's also plenty of room to improvise it with other herbs or with a different vinegar.